Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

(05-05-2024, 11:06 PM)South Wrote:  I have a feeling C will probably be mothballed as a result, being available for planned maintenance only, the BBC do not need two news studios for day to day use on the News channel under the current set up. The balcony will remain in use for the UK opt.

C had a very good run over 10 years in service, in that time it was only during covid, the lights on the grille stopped working, but all in all its been working fantastic.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(05-05-2024, 11:06 PM)South Wrote:  I have a feeling C will probably be mothballed as a result, being available for planned maintenance only, the BBC do not need two news studios for day to day use on the News channel under the current set up. The balcony will remain in use for the UK opt.

If there are going to be permanent opt outs for the UK feed like it was hinted recently, maybe they are going to use Studio C instead of being hours on the balcony.
Yes, i`m a little optimistic.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lec_Ver16's post:
  • Chud, House, oscillon

Cant remember seeing this being posted already.

The bbc had sumo services create a digital 3D model of studio b. I wonder if the background used on the model was ever considered.

www.sumoservices.com 

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 9 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bax, bkman1990, chrisherald, House, Jayesyn, thePineapple, TVHead, xlalonce

We know there have been some behind-the-scenes changes to E too, in terms of new technology, and I do wonder if any of that is about the studio and gallery being able to be run on a smaller crew (and thus, if replicated in C, it might be usable for the opt-outs, in place of the balcony)? The balcony always did feel like a stopgap. If D can be run on a minimal crew for breakfast, lunchtime and weekend BBC London opts (and the cost of maintaining a studio for these 24/7 justified), it’s always seemed odd that the BBC would intend to use the balcony set long term (bearing in mind it has its own gallery maintained for it too).

(06-05-2024, 08:55 AM)House Wrote:  We know there have been some behind-the-scenes changes to E too, in terms of new technology, and I do wonder if any of that is about the studio and gallery being able to be run on a smaller crew (and thus, if replicated in C, it might be usable for the opt-outs, in place of the balcony)? The balcony always did feel like a stopgap. If D can be run on a minimal crew for breakfast, lunchtime and weekend BBC London opts (and the cost of maintaining a studio for these 24/7 justified), it’s always seemed odd that the BBC would intend to use the balcony set long term (bearing in mind it has its own gallery maintained for it too).

Just think it makes more sense having C as a second studio for the News Channel to fall back on in case of issues of regular maintenance on E.

I think the balcony works fine for opt outs.

Question I have is what’s happened to Studio A? I know its gallery controls the balcony now, but what about the physical studio. Is it just a store room now!?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(06-05-2024, 09:36 AM)Moz Wrote:  Just think it makes more sense having C as a second studio for the News Channel to fall back on in case of issues of regular maintenance on E.

I think the balcony works fine for opt outs.

Question I have is what’s happened to Studio A? I know its gallery controls the balcony now, but what about the physical studio. Is it just a store room now!?

You think it would make more sense to have the full studio sit idle in case it is occasionally required in place of E, than to use the balcony set for that purpose?

(06-05-2024, 09:50 AM)House Wrote:  You think it would make more sense to have the full studio sit idle in case it is occasionally required in place of E, than to use the balcony set for that purpose?

If only B could deliver such a service…

Don't forget you have D too, which was also renovated, presumably in a similar manner to E behind the scenes. Given it has little on its regular schedule that can't be moved elsewhere, would that not function as the primary back-up studio?

It might seem weird to have so many studios going free, but you have to remember that NBH was designed back in the early 2000s, when BBC News had a far heavier studio requirement. Originally, the intention was to have two newsroom studios for the two 24-hour news channels, a large basement studio for Breakfast, Working Lunch, Newsnight, etc., and three smaller basement studios for network bulletins, BBC London and presumably for some part of the rest of BBC News output (which included BBC Three News, BBC Sport news, Newsround, etc.). Most of that is either gone, moved to Salford or combined. Back then, you had numerous points in the day when four (or five, including London) studios were on air or near-about at the same time, I don't think that's ever true at NBH any more.
[-] The following 10 users Like DTV's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, Brekkie, chaose, chrisherald, London Lite, matthieu1221, Reith85, RhysJR, thePineapple

I'm watching BBC News and during an interview at 1650, the presenter interrupted a contributor commenting on floods in Brazil. The reason for the interruption? Saying goodbye to viewers around the world. Within seconds, the contributor was asked to continue her story - but this amassed quite a perplexed face as she didn't know what was happening. I really want to stick with BBC News, but when things like this happen it just makes it look quite sloppy. And this isn't anything against the staff working on the channel; it's just a shame this is what is left.

(06-05-2024, 04:54 PM)AverageOrangeTurnip Wrote:  I'm watching BBC News and during an interview at 1650, the presenter interrupted a contributor commenting on floods in Brazil. The reason for the interruption? Saying goodbye to viewers around the world. Within seconds, the contributor was asked to continue her story - but this amassed quite a perplexed face as she didn't know what was happening. I really want to stick with BBC News, but when things like this happen it just makes it look quite sloppy. And this isn't anything against the staff working on the channel; it's just a shame this is what is left.

Although I do agree the way that this was handled was very sloppy, it used to happen with the old news channel too, but happening more often now!
They should schedule so that the interview finished when world viewers leave. Possibly just cut to the BBC closing titles, then back to presenter for the UK viewers.

These things seems to be so easy to solve so I'm not sure why they're still happening! It comes across as unprofessional!
[-] The following 3 users Like Rhys j's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer
Thread Closed