Sky Platform News

(09-05-2024, 10:09 AM)Keith Wrote:  I wonder if Sky will also be tempted to move their +1 channels to being streaming only. This would remove the need to transmit them via satellite, and the number of users affected would presumably be relatively minimal. (One might argue that there's even little or no point of these channels anymore.)

Doubt it. These are channels designed to catch casual linear viewers at little cost - makes very little sense to continue with them at all if you're excluding the customer sets most likely to be heavy linear viewers.

Far more likely they'll just continue to be gradually binned off.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

Stream doesn't have +1 as it is, because for the majority of viewers, they can use the restart feature or find the episode on VOD.

Sky are closing their remaining SD Sky Sports abd Sky Cinema channel. Seems they're keeping SD versions of entertainment channels like Sky Atlantic so they can continue to charge a surcharge, even though on Sky Glass everything is HD as standard.

rxtvinfo.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • London Lite

The SD closures of the Sky Sports Channels affect people in the UK only.

Although; Sky subscribers in the Republic of Ireland are likely to get some of these SD channels in DVB-S2 format.

Sky don't want to lose their HD boost subs for Signature, which is why the RXTV article also reports that they're testing a DVB-S2 SD version of Sky Atlantic, so they can continue to have the SD versions of the entertainment channels for those with S2 receivers and/or milk the satellite customers for every penny they have.

(09-05-2024, 01:11 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Many people (like me) use my old DRX890 as a FSfS box. I pay Sky £10 a month for the ability to access the Sky+ facility and download from all the catch-up services.

It also gives me the RF link to the TV in my bedroom.

I have a Sky+HD box but only tend to watch or record the main free-to-air channels (101-105).
I was told by Sky that I'd have to take their basic 'Sky Signature' package if I wished to continue using the box to record. Like you, I still use the RF-out function for the bedroom TV and don't want to lose that. I won't be upgrading.
Is the £10 a month deal something you've had for a while? I certainly wasn't offered it and feel I should be making another call to customer services!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wrekin Havoc's post:
  • Stuart

The £10 for recording was something Sky did years ago before Q was a thing. I don't think they offer it now, they want you off that platform basically. Although the £10 has never gone up AFAIK, though everything else has...
[-] The following 3 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AndrewP, Stuart, Wrekin Havoc

(24-05-2024, 07:02 PM)Wrekin Havoc Wrote:  I have a Sky+HD box but only tend to watch or record the main free-to-air channels (101-105).
I was told by Sky that I'd have to take their basic 'Sky Signature' package if I wished to continue using the box to record. Like you, I still use the RF-out function for the bedroom TV and don't want to lose that. I won't be upgrading.
Is the £10 a month deal something you've had for a while? I certainly wasn't offered it and feel I should be making another call to customer services!
Yes, I've had the £10 deal since I got rid of the subscription channels which will have been about 5 or 6 years ago. I had to push to get it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Wrekin Havoc

Don't think I've ever seen a Channel 4 (branded) show appearing on Now TV before. They have no hub so assuming its a trial or one off.

(26-05-2024, 07:36 PM)Jameseh Wrote:  Don't think I've ever seen a Channel 4 (branded) show appearing on Now TV before. They have no hub so assuming its a trial or one off.
Isn't Channel 4 available on NOW in Ireland?