The LBC Thread

(02-05-2024, 02:02 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  I'm quite flabbergasted as to why you would think that it's the wronged party's job to save the station and its big stars from the incoming flak.
If you’re that easily flabbergasted, I’d suggest getting some real world experience.

Sangita has not been “wronged” if her employer - having hired her on a freelance basis - decides her ratings aren’t good enough to continue. That’s the nature of the beast - as the great John Myers said, “presenters live and die by their audience figures” and radio station managers will always look at them in the round, not just the headline reach numbers being bandied about as evidence of some elaborate cover-up which is sheer nonsense.

Going to gently suggest that if you cannot handle somebody politely articulating an opinion that is contrary to your own without being forced to resort to a condescending personal attack line in response, it very tellingly speaks to your own 'people skills' and I am personally very thankful that I do not have you as a 'senior manager' where I work.

But on the substantive point - just because it's pretty normal for Global's freelancers to go out this way doesn't make it right. Listeners are telling LBC that they do not believe Global's reason for pulling the trigger because it fits a pattern of behaviour.

The trust is breaking down between the station and its listeners and the faces, or rather the voices, of the station are taking incoming because they are more accessible.

This is Global's fault for not taking control of the situation and after several years of nudge-nudge-wink-wink statements issued in the wake of controversial firings that defy what is known about the circumstances surrounding the presenters ouster.

On Nigel Farage's departure: (last heard after he likened Black Lives Matters protesters to the Taliban)

“Nigel Farage’s contract with LBC is up very shortly and following discussions with him, Nigel is stepping down from LBC with immediate effect,” said the station’s managing director, Tom Cheal, in a message to staff. “We thank Nigel for the enormous contribution he has made to LBC and wish him well.”

On Maajid Nawaz's departure (following a string of tweets supporting conspiracy theories ranging from anti-vax stuff to 'the big lie'/election fraud):

LBC said in a statement: “Maajid Nawaz’s contract with LBC is up very shortly and following discussions with him, Maajid will no longer present a show on LBC with immediate effect. We thank Maajid for the contribution he has made to LBC and wish him well.”

Then, there's Steve Allen (not allowed back on the air after comments about Tilly Ramsey and Sam Smith)

Global, which owns LBC, said in a statement: “Steve Allen’s contract with LBC is up shortly and, following discussions with him, Steve is stepping down from LBC today.

“We thank him for his enormous contribution to commercial radio over the past 44 years, making him one of the longest-serving radio broadcasters in the UK.”

And now Sangita Myska (not heard after an exchange with an Israeli gov't spokesperson), "As part of the changes, Sangita Myska is leaving the station at the end of her contract, after nearly two years with the station.

Tom Cheal added: “We’d like to thank Sangita for her fantastic contribution to LBC and we wish her every success in the future.”

If people do not believe the Global line, it's because Global routinely lie to their listeners when people leave the station immediately after a controversial incident!
[-] The following 2 users Like lhx1985's post:
  • chrisherald, Luc

(02-05-2024, 01:41 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Again, this view is fundamentally flawed - and James O’Brien neatly explained why shortly before midday today

Well you're not disagreeing with me there at all really. I said radio presenters have a unique bond with their audience and a station lives or dies by its listeners, which you've said yourself?

By the looks of it, Sangita's taken it badly as have her listeners. It's been conflated with the Israel/Gaza conflict and has just become toxic on social media.

deleted... wrong end of the stick

I remember the Lloyd era LBC and it was enjoyable and varied but clearly listeners weren't interested hence why Global went more newsy and TBF it has worked but I do think it would be good to inject some lightness into the schedules, James O'Brien for example seems more lively with the Mystery Hour.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • lookoutwales

LBC don't do light and shade well. It's 90% serious with Nick A the remaining 10%.
[-] The following 1 user Likes radio listener's post:
  • chrisherald

As mentioned, the Twitterati have been awful today. As expected on social media, they seem to want echo chamber broadcasting, but LBC's newstalk format allows for a wide range of opinions throughout the day, so you're not getting just one side of the debate.

I won't quote the O'Brien explanation, but it's accurate that presenters live by their listening hours. Myska raised her listening reach, but they're listening for less time in the last Rajar quarter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • leewilliams

(02-05-2024, 07:04 PM)London Lite Wrote:  As mentioned, the Twitterati have been awful today. As expected on social media, they seem to want echo chamber broadcasting, but LBC's newstalk format allows for a wide range of opinions throughout the day, so you're not getting just one side of the debate.

I won't quote the O'Brien explanation, but it's accurate that presenters live by their listening hours. Myska raised her listening reach, but they're listening for less time in the last Rajar quarter.

LBC is fantastic because it has varied opinion whereas Talk's right wing slant means it has limited appeal.

I always think social media and some left and right wing outlets have made politics and other subjects a no go for ordinary people.
[-] The following 4 users Like XIII's post:
  • chrisherald, DeMarkay, leewilliams, London Lite

While Global’s approach to on air balance has always been pretty moderate but tolerant of some more extreme positions, its approach to creating the product has always been far more commercially-minded than most British broadcasters. It changes its lineups (particularly weekends, but also evenings and overnights) with little warning, and relies on freelance staff to give it that flexibility. I think as long as you’re aware of that going in, there’s no particular issue with it. It is much more American in that sense, where US news channels and talk radio stations are unafraid to make significant changes (such as removing someone from schedules and bringing in someone entirely new) at very short notice (albeit the much more lax employment rights make that easier there than here). In that context, there is no reason at all to think Myska’s departure is anything other than a commercial decision, and we’re seeing a small group shout boycott because someone they’re aligned with has been let go.
[-] The following 3 users Like House's post:
  • leewilliams, London Lite, TVFan

Worth a listen - or a watch - to Matt Deegan’s The Media Podcast discussing the recent raft of changes (and Myska’s departure in particular) - Jake Kanter is one of the guests.

Not surprisingly, it also touches on the BBC News presenters tribunal and the wider issue of treating talent - as well as Mahon and Katz ‘losing the dressing room’ at Channel 4.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Happy2001, London Lite, Luc