BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(30-04-2024, 09:40 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  ...or a News Channel.

…or - and I realise I’ve argued this previously and barely anyone ever agrees with me - accept that maybe the BBC doesn’t actually need to offer a domestic rolling news channel. UK audiences are pretty well served without it - working through the day there’s Breakfast, Politics Live, News at One, regional lunchtime news, News at Six, evening regional news, The One Show, News at Ten, late regional news, Newsnight. Does all this along with the app, web and social media not cover things adequately? I’d guess consumption of these far outweighs viewership of the news channel. And there’s always Sky News too…

I’d re-rebrand the news channel as BBC World News and scrap any pretence of a domestic focussed service.
[-] The following 8 users Like all new phil's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, cando, chrisherald, JJJJ, London Lite, strollfan, Stuart, UTVLifer

These breakout streams would work well enough if they were just for the app but as they kept the linear stream they just look pretty poor. And I think the fact the viewer is well served by BBC1 bulletins actually leaves relatively few gaps to plug.

I think the bigger problem is the new programmes are pretty poor in comparison to what they replaced on both the UK and World opts - it's never felt like much thought was put into them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, thePineapple

(30-04-2024, 09:58 PM)all new phil Wrote:  …or - and I realise I’ve argued this previously and barely anyone ever agrees with me - accept that maybe the BBC doesn’t actually need to offer a domestic rolling news channel. UK audiences are pretty well served without it - working through the day there’s Breakfast, Politics Live, News at One, regional lunchtime news, News at Six, evening regional news, The One Show, News at Ten, late regional news, Newsnight. Does all this along with the app, web and social media not cover things adequately? I’d guess consumption of these far outweighs viewership of the news channel. And there’s always Sky News too…
Regardless of the wider merits of the argument, I would fundamentally question "UK audiences are pretty well served without it - [...] Politics Live".
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bilky asko, chrisherald

It's not just looking poor, it looks jarring. The different studio behind is the main thing as there is no 'continuity' between the two.

Maybe an "UK News" sting would be more appropriate when shifting from "World" to "UK" coverage?

(30-04-2024, 09:58 PM)all new phil Wrote:  UK audiences are pretty well served without it - working through the day there’s Breakfast, Politics Live, News at One, regional lunchtime news, News at Six, evening regional news, The One Show, News at Ten, late regional news, Newsnight. Does all this along with the app, web and social media not cover things adequately? I’d guess consumption of these far outweighs viewership of the news channel. And there’s always Sky News too…

Id argue the opposite. UK audience are not being served pretty well. You cannot go into as much depth in a 25 minute network bulletin as you can on the news channel. Interviews are effectively sound bites as there isn’t time. Network bulletins are summaries of what’s going on. The app since its redesign is no where near as good as it was. Apps again are simply sound bites. When done properly you can’t beat the news channel. Yes there is sky news but if we went down that path you could argue that they do a news at 10 plus itv do an evening new so drop the bbc news altogether.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(30-04-2024, 09:58 PM)all new phil Wrote:  …or - and I realise I’ve argued this previously and barely anyone ever agrees with me - accept that maybe the BBC doesn’t actually need to offer a domestic rolling news channel. UK audiences are pretty well served without it - working through the day there’s Breakfast, Politics Live, News at One, regional lunchtime news, News at Six, evening regional news, The One Show, News at Ten, late regional news, Newsnight. Does all this along with the app, web and social media not cover things adequately? I’d guess consumption of these far outweighs viewership of the news channel. And there’s always Sky News too…

I’d re-rebrand the news channel as BBC World News and scrap any pretence of a domestic focussed service.

I disagree. One of the good things made by last year`s changes is the rename to BBC News. The main brand is BBC News, the website was always BBC News. As someone said before, the "world" suffix was just a compromise to remember the roots of the channel.

(30-04-2024, 06:54 PM)what Wrote:  How about they start spending more of their news budget in the UK? They are the British Broadcasting Corporation. But their UK news provision is getting frankly embarrassing.
This new unit comes from the BBC World Service, and I presume comes from their own budget too; not from BBC News.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • arbrax, Happy2001

Ahead of the imminent demise of World Business Report (as discussed earlier in this thread), a nice acknowledgement from the BBC's Ben Thompson:

twitter.com 

Also nice to see replies to that tweet from Richard Quest -- WBR with Quest in New York and Paddy O'Connell in London was always as fun as it was engaging and informative.

I suspect the new Business Today programmes will be much the same as the Business Reports they replace, but with more time devoted to pointless discussions and worthless opinions, and less time spent on covering actual news -- that is, of course, the new normal across the BBC News channel these days.

A shame to see the end of the XYZ Business Report names after almost three decades.

Still, I'm sure I'll feel much better when I see the new Business Today titles, with their latest combination of flat red circles, stock imagery, weak animations, and 'free design template' aesthetic. I look forward to marvelling, as with other recent BBC News title sequences, at how little imagination and creativity were required to produce them.

Such is the standard of BBC News branding and design in this new era. Bland, generic, relentlessly underwhelming.
[-] The following 16 users Like LDN's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bax, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chris, chrisherald, harshy, Jayesyn, kookaburra, matthieu1221, oscillon, Rolling News, Stuart, TVFan, UTVLifer

(30-04-2024, 10:52 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Id argue the opposite. UK audience are not being served pretty well. You cannot go into as much depth in a 25 minute network bulletin as you can on the news channel. Interviews are effectively sound bites as there isn’t time. Network bulletins are summaries of what’s going on. The app since its redesign is no where near as good as it was. Apps again are simply sound bites. When done properly you can’t beat the news channel. Yes there is sky news but if we went down that path you could argue that they do a news at 10 plus itv do an evening new so drop the bbc news altogether.

This has always been a battle for news channels long before the merger but for me it's the lack of being able to get a summary of several stories with a more UK focus in any hour of the news channel, instead only getting one story covered endlessly in the opts (when they arguably often only need 10 minutes at the top of the hour and updates at the bottom of the hour) now at the expense of not just UK news but world news too. The breakfiller updates are an embarrassment, as are the pushbacks.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, TJTSW

I notice a minor schedule change relating to the new business programmes - they're now all called Business Today (so no Business Today USA, Business Today Asia), but what was the Business Today USA programme is now Business Today - NYSE Opening Bell. World Business Report has also been reinstated for Tuesday morning, with the final edition listed as 11:30 on Tuesday.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald