C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

Another familiar show, Hunted, seems to have it's commissioning being dragged along with no new series being filmed this year.

www.tvzoneuk.com 

I think a bit like SAS it's amongst their top rated shows but it's also showing it's age now.

Why do Channel 4 keep shuffling the early morning sitcoms around so much? As of this morning the previous day's episode of Countdown has now been pushed back to 6.00am for a third episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun.

I thought Countdown had been at 6am for a while.

Baffles me that anyone would still be watching the same mix of sitcoms they've been airing for nearly 20 years now, with just a couple of changes in that period which were probably close to a decade ago themselves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • GMc

(07-05-2024, 09:09 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I thought Countdown had been at 6am for a while.

Baffles me that anyone would still be watching the same mix of sitcoms they've been airing for nearly 20 years now, with just a couple of changes in that period which were probably close to a decade ago themselves.

Until last Friday the Countdown repeat had been on until 6.50am.

C4 have a habit of starting a show early in the morning, dropping it mid run and restarting it some months later at a different place in the series. It was because of the constant chopping and changing around of these programmes I ended up buying the box set of Cheers and Frasier.

I never saw these shows first time round and the constant changing around of the early morning schedule made it hard for me to get in to these shows as i've never seen them in full before.

Please remember, the audience for this time slot is very low for Channel 4, so they don't think many will care if they move time slots around - most of the breakfast television audience are with BBC Breakfast or Good Morning Britain, with some with Channel 5 Milkshake and Sky News, the remaining dribble is with Channel 4.

I am surprised that Channel 4 hasn't bothered to create a cheap breakfast strand - keeping their morning comedies into a nice fitted time slot from say 7am until 9.30am.

Third Rock aside, these shows are all part of CBS syndication packages, and I'm always surprised they haven't ended up in the Channel 5/Comedy Central package although it's not like any of them will attract big money. It's probably a case of doing just enough with sponsors etc for Channel 4 to continue with it, as any replacement would be a bigger effort.

(07-05-2024, 01:20 PM)agemame Wrote:  Third Rock aside, these shows are all part of CBS syndication packages, and I'm always surprised they haven't ended up in the Channel 5/Comedy Central package although it's not like any of them will attract big money. It's probably a case of doing just enough with sponsors etc for Channel 4 to continue with it, as any replacement would be a bigger effort.

Again, it is all down to the fact breakfast television is really low priority now for channels - even when breakfast television launched in the UK in 1983, predictions that people wouldn't really tune in daily were true - when BBC Breakfast Time was beating TV-am in 1983, they were only getting 2 to 3 million watching per day - and this was 1983 with only four television channels, and only two doing proper breakfast television.

Channel 5 have cornered the market for hurling cartoons and kiddie shows from 6am with Milkshake, I remember BBC 2 would be the alternative, with CBBC on air along with Cbeebies on BBC 2. Now BBC 2 is a junkyard for BBC daytime show repeats at breakfast time.

Breakfast television today is nothing - I bet if ITV cancelled Good Morning Britain and just aired cartoons with hourly news summaries no one would complain.

I find it funny people find airing preschool cartoons in the morning a bad thing...

(07-05-2024, 04:22 PM)XIII Wrote:  I find it funny people find airing preschool cartoons in the morning a bad thing...

Did I say it was bad? No. Channel 5 found a niche and made use of it. Good for them. Where did I say it was bad?