The TV Gameshow Thread

(Yesterday, 06:18 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  House of Games practically *is* members of the public at this point- it’s mostly jobbing comedians who’ve done very little TV work.

Well I did think if I really wanted to go on it, I could get in touch with whoever does the casting and just tell them I’m a comedian. I’m not convinced they check.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie, ethanjbrady

(Yesterday, 07:48 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Well I did think if I really wanted to go on it, I could get in touch with whoever does the casting and just tell them I’m a comedian. I’m not convinced they check.

"Hello are you looking for participants for House of Games?"
"Always, are you a comedian? Tell us a joke."
"my dog has no nose. How does he smell? Terrible."
"Can you come to Salford for 4pm on the 19th?"

(Yesterday, 06:18 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  House of Games practically *is* members of the public at this point- it’s mostly jobbing comedians who’ve done very little TV work.

Richard explained on The Rest is Entertainment that they give a spot to unknown comedians to give them a TV credit, as most other shows won't touch comedians without any prior TV work. It's a good deed, I suppose. But it explains why there's almost always at least one person on the show nobody's ever heard of.
[-] The following 8 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • bilky asko, callumwatchestelly, cando, DeMarkay, ethanjbrady, Happy2001, Stooky Bill, strollfan

It's a show that feels like it has the space to do that. Cats does Countdown has been quite good at giving relative unknowns a slot in dictionary corner too.

I think House of Games is also a show that could get away with a non-celebrity special week too.

(Yesterday, 10:28 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Richard explained on The Rest is Entertainment that they give a spot to unknown comedians to give them a TV credit, as most other shows won't touch comedians without any prior TV work. It's a good deed, I suppose. But it explains why there's almost always at least one person on the show nobody's ever heard of.

So therefore it’s not a celebrity show… if they’re unknown. Performers, yes, but not celebrities. Making them effectively members of the public, just from a performing background.

Even though there are people on House of Games that the majority of the public don't know, that doesn't make them completely unknown. They've performed to crowds and will have a following of some kind, which by today's standards makes them a celebrity.

(1 hour ago)tellyblues Wrote:  Even though there are people on House of Games that the majority of the public don't know, that doesn't make them completely unknown. They've performed to crowds and will have a following of some kind, which by today's standards makes them a celebrity.

By that logic every single stand-up comedian in the world is a celebrity.

(12 minutes ago)Gary Baldy Wrote:  By that logic every single stand-up comedian in the world is a celebrity.
They don’t market it as ‘Celebrity House of Games’ though but all ‘celebrity’ programmes tend to fill the line up with people not well known to the majority of the audience. The thing is the word ‘celebrity’ is subjective anyway, so I wouldn’t get too hung up on it.

Anyway, it’s not like it’s open to anyone to appear.