The TV Gameshow Thread

(Yesterday, 06:18 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  House of Games practically *is* members of the public at this point- it’s mostly jobbing comedians who’ve done very little TV work.

Well I did think if I really wanted to go on it, I could get in touch with whoever does the casting and just tell them I’m a comedian. I’m not convinced they check.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie, ethanjbrady

(Yesterday, 07:48 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Well I did think if I really wanted to go on it, I could get in touch with whoever does the casting and just tell them I’m a comedian. I’m not convinced they check.

"Hello are you looking for participants for House of Games?"
"Always, are you a comedian? Tell us a joke."
"my dog has no nose. How does he smell? Terrible."
"Can you come to Salford for 4pm on the 19th?"

(Yesterday, 06:18 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  House of Games practically *is* members of the public at this point- it’s mostly jobbing comedians who’ve done very little TV work.

Richard explained on The Rest is Entertainment that they give a spot to unknown comedians to give them a TV credit, as most other shows won't touch comedians without any prior TV work. It's a good deed, I suppose. But it explains why there's almost always at least one person on the show nobody's ever heard of.
[-] The following 8 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • bilky asko, callumwatchestelly, cando, DeMarkay, ethanjbrady, Happy2001, Stooky Bill, strollfan

It's a show that feels like it has the space to do that. Cats does Countdown has been quite good at giving relative unknowns a slot in dictionary corner too.

I think House of Games is also a show that could get away with a non-celebrity special week too.

(Yesterday, 10:28 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Richard explained on The Rest is Entertainment that they give a spot to unknown comedians to give them a TV credit, as most other shows won't touch comedians without any prior TV work. It's a good deed, I suppose. But it explains why there's almost always at least one person on the show nobody's ever heard of.

So therefore it’s not a celebrity show… if they’re unknown. Performers, yes, but not celebrities. Making them effectively members of the public, just from a performing background.