Thread Closed

2024 Local Elections

I’m not sure where this idea has come from that people seem to be frequently suggesting that the minute a general election is called the schedules are ripped up and it’s wall to wall news everywhere
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie, lepeterrr, MLehon

(10-05-2024, 10:01 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  So IF an early July election were to be called by the end of May, would that force the BBC and ITV to prioritise their main news bulletins over the Euros football and Wimbledon? Eg. Making sure that the News at 6/6:30 and 10 always aired in full at 6/6:30 & 10 with Wimbledon and/or the football moved to BBC 2 & 3 or ITV 2 & 3 instead so not to clash with the news?

An early July election would be a nightmare for schedulers, with both the Euros and Wimbledon being on during the first two weeks of July.

Are you seriously suggesting ITV would drop coverage of a high rating football match in favour of a news bulletin reporting on (amongst other things) Mr Teabag, the current head of The Ministry of Silly Walks department backing up Alan B'Stard on the campaign trail round Walmington-On-Sea?

(10-05-2024, 07:37 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m not sure where this idea has come from that people seem to be frequently suggesting that the minute a general election is called the schedules are ripped up and it’s wall to wall news everywhere

It's what the news junkies want to see!

(10-05-2024, 07:37 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m not sure where this idea has come from that people seem to be frequently suggesting that the minute a general election is called the schedules are ripped up and it’s wall to wall news everywhere

Highlight to me where that suggestion was made because I certainly didn't make it.

All I said was that IF an early July GE was called then the evening domestic news bulletins would take on more significance than they usually would during a period of sports heavy programming, especially towards the end of a GE campaign. So the broadcasters might want to ensure the bulletins went out at the usual times for a weekday evening and we're on for the usual 30 minutes rather than the shortened evening bulletins that are often broadcast when the weekday evening schedules are ripped up for football or other summer sports coverage.

The Euros will go ahead if a GE was called, the BBC and especially ITV1 are not going to relegate to BBC Two or ITV4 for a debate or extra news. ITV make a lot of money from the Euros and politics doesn't
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • eyeTV, UTVLifer

Local elections have been and gone. This thread is now closed.

Until a general election is announced and there's something presentation-wise to talk about, no more general election-related speculation please.
Thread Closed