BBC/ITV North West News

New set launches next Monday, as just confirmed on the 6.30.

Yes, one week to go.

Probably just as well - the brooms are starting to get restless…

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bkman1990, MLehon

My question will be, given SQ2 is a bizarre shape given it was formerly the gents toilets until someone decided it was a studio, are they going to have to modify the new set in any way, like make one end shorter than the other similar to Norwich.

(13-05-2024, 09:06 PM)Mike Wrote:  My question will be, given SQ2 is a bizarre shape given it was formerly the gents toilets until someone decided it was a studio, are they going to have to modify the new set in any way, like make one end shorter than the other similar to Norwich.
It's difficult to understand why someone would choose the most inconveniently shaped part of a large multi-story building in which to place a studio.

It's not a small space, and as we saw with the temporary Sports set just down the corridor, stud partition walls can be taken down and/or moved to create a better shaped area if needed.

It will certainly be interesting to see next week exactly what they've done for NWT. We all might be pleasantly surprised. Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • DJ Dave

I asked one of the presenters recently about the new set and whether it would reflect the rollout of other regions given the shape/height of the studio, he replied…

“Yes same as other regions. There’s actually loads of space as the old plasmas were so bulky.
Hopefully we’ll also be able to use some space overlooking the piazza at one side of the studio as well, for set piece interviews and specials etc.
The home backdrop is amazing too, and I think the night version even better.”

Really exciting, can’t wait to see it next week!

(14-05-2024, 06:05 AM)markhamblett Wrote:  “Yes same as other regions. There’s actually loads of space as the old plasmas were so bulky.
Hopefully we’ll also be able to use some space overlooking the piazza at one side of the studio as well, for set piece interviews and specials etc.
The home backdrop is amazing too, and I think the night version even better.”

It's not that exciting, by the sounds of the above as the narrower end is the end that doesn't overlook anything. There's also about 3m from floor to grid so it's going to be similar height to Tunbridge Wells' set.

Quote:t's difficult to understand why someone would choose the most inconveniently shaped part of a large multi-story building in which to place a studio.

A decision made by the breakfast management team at the time. The Studio was meant to be ground floor and would have been much higher.
One of the many reasons it went upstairs was because Peel (who own the site) wouldn't close the public footpath which runs around the outside of the building, nor could they guarantee security. The possibility of disruption was considered quite high.

Quote:It's not a small space, and as we saw with the temporary Sports set just down the corridor, stud partition walls can be taken down and/or moved to create a better shaped area if needed.

There are no stud partitions in SQ2. Studio 4 (current temp set) was made bigger by virtue of moving a "wall" but that space has never officially been a closed off room if you like. the flats don't go to the ceiling making it a bit easier to change.
SQ2 is an odd shape because of an apps room and aircon stuff. It clearly wasn't the gents toilet...

(14-05-2024, 09:11 AM)AM160 Wrote:  SQ2 is an odd shape because of an apps room and aircon stuff. It clearly wasn't the gents toilet...

Well evidently, I'm not sure it would be prudent to have a lavatory with large windows overlooking a public square, but it wasn't a studio by design, and it's always shown.