Pres Café
BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News (/showthread.php?tid=138)

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - London Lite - 09-02-2023

(08-02-2023, 09:20 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  
(03-02-2023, 06:14 PM)harshy Wrote:  Leeds not yet but Yorkshire and Lincolnshire HD takes Leeds in the morning editions and it’s upscaled.

Will it be upscaled on Yorkshire HD when that starts testing next week too?

Both editions of Look North will be upscaled.  Only NE&C's Look North is native HD.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - harshy - 09-02-2023

Yeah upscaled SD other then the bitrate being higher it dosent look that much better then what we have at present, none of my folks could tell the difference.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Belmont - 09-02-2023

Any indication where the temporary set on EY&L is? A couple of times they had temporary weekend sets in the ground floor old open centre outside Radio Humbs studios.

I assume this temp set is upstairs somewhere, perhaps one of the meeting rooms?

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Former Member 406 - 10-02-2023

Random question...

I know that at one time, Yorkshire Television (as it still was at that point) had newsrooms in at least Sheffield and Hull - not least of all because of the Calendar South & East sub-opts that existed.

Does ITV Yorkshire/Calendar still have any newsrooms away from their main Leeds HQ nowadays, and - if so - in which cities/towns are they?

Thanks in advance.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 10-02-2023

There was one in York as well, latterly a joint operation with Tyne Tees after the merger.

I think satellite trucks, editing on laptops and going live from mobile phones made them redundant. The primary purpose was getting footage back to Leeds and getting contributors who wouldn't/couldn't travel to Leeds.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Former Member 406 - 10-02-2023

As far as I know, other ITV plc regions still have newsrooms in locations other than their studio base.

For example... Meridian still has newsrooms in Didcot and Maidstone (AFAIK), despite all iterations of the news being presented variously live or pre-recorded from Whiteley (near Fareham). Similarly, newsrooms in Carlisle/Nottingham/Plymouth despite the respective programmes being presented from Gateshead/Birmingham/Bristol.

I therefore would've thought that ITV Yorkshire/Calender would still have at least one non-Leeds newsroom somewhere?

I know that once-upon-a-time ITV regions would have had additional very small newsrooms that were never studio sites (e.g. Westcountry Television ones in the likes of Barnstaple/Exeter/Truro/Weymouth, an Anglia one in Northampton, etc etc). YTV surely must've had similar minor sites at one time (e.g. Lincoln, maybe?)

I get that these sorts of really minor offices are long-since redundant and gone nowadays, but I struggle to believe that the *only* facility of any kind for Calendar is the Leeds HQ.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Spencer - 10-02-2023

When you consider you can edit and upload a report from a laptop in the middle of a field these days, I’m surprised ITV still has any offices other than their main studio bases. I really don’t know what purpose they might serve. I bet they’re all empty now too with everyone working from home.

I’ve never heard any mention of Calendar offices other than Leeds for many years. A few quick Google Maps searches for ITV in Hull, Sheffield, Bradford and Lincoln comes up with nothing. So I’m pretty sure there aren’t any other ITV newsrooms in the region.

I suspect other regions might still retain places like Carlisle for political reasons - to show they’ve not totally abandoned the old Border region.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Critique - 10-02-2023

ITV Anglia somehow retained an Ipswich bureau (seems very grandiose!) until the early 2010s - Streetview from back in the day shows the Anglia Tonight/ITV Local branding outside the building: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0593269,1.1476786,3a,26.8y,271.81h,84.84t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1swONWwxTUN9Ks2iwquweT2w!2e0!5s20110801T000000!7i13312!8i6656  Not sure what purpose Ipswich would ever have served as a base, considering the studio in Norwich is only an hour away!

I remember too a special programme celebrating 50 years of Anglia Television where they briefly showed staff celebrating the birthday at newsrooms in Ipswich and Northampton. The latter is at least a decent trek from Norwich and would have been strategically useful in the past, but one would imagine that it is long gone too.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Former Member 406 - 11-02-2023

When I lived in Northampton in 2008, there was still an ITV Anglia news bureau at 77B Abington Street in the town. The unit is now a charity shop.

RE: BBC/ITV Yorkshire News - Steve in Pudsey - 11-02-2023

Lincoln used to be on Bailgate but moved to the Spark house facility at the university in 2006 and may still be there, the website lists ITV as a tenant.

Hull was in the shopping centre, Sheffield was next to the big roundabout in the city centre. York was on that road that cuts through the pedestrianised bit. Surely Bradford is too close to Leeds to need one? The BBC only had one because of the museum 'living exhibit'.