Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -)

Is it though - yes they benefit from Friends reruns and premiering the odd Paramount+ show, whilst they work with Channel 10 on some dramas (which may go to P+ Internationally) but most the C5 line up is cheap factual which is quite at odds it the Paramount brand. I don't think there has been any suggestion Paramount pump money into C5 just to keep it afloat so it could potentially continue fairly successfully if the new owners don't do a Discovery!

I do think C5 and Narrative could be a good fit for each other - bring Pop under the Milkshake brand and Great Movies as a suite of 5Movies channels. Whether Narrative could stretch to buying C5 though is another question.

(Although granted Milkshake may be one are where they benefit from Paramount ownership.)

I noticed on Friday night that Channel 5 are still happily giving some of their shows two different names. The Cancellation of Jim Davidson, as it was promoted all week, turned out to actually be called Jim Davidson: The Rise and Fall of Mr. Saturday Night.

Was it ever established why Channel 5 do this? I can't help but think wool is being pulled over my eyes every time I see this happen.

Wasn't Noel Edmonds "Mr Saturday Night" a few months ago?

(26-05-2024, 01:33 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I noticed on Friday night that Channel 5 are still happily giving some of their shows two different names. The Cancellation of Jim Davidson, as it was promoted all week, turned out to actually be called Jim Davidson: The Rise and Fall of Mr. Saturday Night.

Was it ever established why Channel 5 do this? I can't help but think wool is being pulled over my eyes every time I see this happen.

I think they're just more willing to change the names of programmes right up to the wire to get the most viewers tuning in than other channels are. It costs money to go into to the edit to change the title so why bother? Maybe it looks a bit unprofessional but I don't think casual viewers are that bothered and the ratings reflect that.

Also their policy (and this is straight from a C5 commissioner) is to get five decently rated airings of each of these types of programmes (list/clip shows) to maximise their value. One way of doing that is repeating it with a new name to attract viewers who didn't watch the previous airing. I'm sure it will be back in the EPG at some point in the future with the original name from the title cards. They'll likely take clips from the Jim Davidson show and use them in another Saturday night countdown amalgamation in the future as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, TVFan

(26-05-2024, 01:46 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wasn't Noel Edmonds "Mr Saturday Night" a few months ago?

Hughie Green had the same title blessed upon him a while ago. They're quite liberal with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Brekkie

(26-05-2024, 04:21 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Hughie Green had the same title blessed upon him a while ago. They're quite liberal with it.

As a surname, that does suggest a family rather than just a single person