BBC Local Radio

I imagine the likes of London, WM, Merseyside and Manchester will have local Election shows considering the population and constituencies they have in those TSAs.

The other factor is whether stations have anybody who could present a long speech show like that any more.

A lot of the presenters who were around when the format was more news led were let go in the recent cuts. Thinking of the Yorkshire stations I can't think of many obvious choices. Maybe Jeremy Buxton or Elly Fiorentini for York, Nick Wilson for Sheffield. Really not sure for Leeds unless they get Andrew Edwards back for a freelance shift.

It's at times like this that those experienced, safe pairs of hands are really missed.

Yes that's a good point. Generally they'd have used their breakfast or drive time presenters - the more newsy based programmes - to anchor the election coverage.

However I think generally a lot of staff presenters got redeployed elsewhere on the station. My local lost a lot of its presenters in the run up to the changes, some through retirement, illness and some to local Internet radio. But some who lost shows still pop up as reporters during breakfast and as online reporters

I think Leeds could go for Rima Ahmed, although arguably better to keep her on breakfast. She’s done a few 5 Live shifts lately and been excellent.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, Steve in Pudsey, Toby brown

That's a good shout, I'd forgotten she had done overnights there. I was thinking maybe Johnny I'Anson if he isn't working for 5 Live.

Probably worth noting that Radio Solent opted out of their regional breakfast show at 9am today then ran a couple of special local shows in the run up to Solent Sport’s main Wembley coverage at 2pm.

Both Leeds and Solent opted back for Dotun Adebayo’s networked show at 6pm - of which Manchester have opted out for City’s PL trophy parade (Hits Radio are doing extra local bulletins this evening to cover it)

It's been a good effort from Leeds. The Wembley Way OB fell off air forcing the tech op in the studio to step in for almost half an hour until Jonny Buchan took over earlier than planned from the safety of the Wembley gantry's Comms infrastructure.

Didn't catch a name but she sounded confident, had several bits of audio ready to go with vox pops of fans from earlier and read a few texts from fans, really put some established TV continuity announcers to shame in how she handled a breakdown.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, lookoutwales