Eurovision Song Contest 2025

The Swiss broadcaster SRG SSR has announced today that the cities interested in hosting Eurovision 2025 have received the detailed requirements dossier this week. As of now, Basel, Geneva, St. Gallen and Zürich have all publicly thrown their hats into the ring.

In terms of the timescale for selection, SRG SSR have said that cities have until the end of June to prepare their bids, with the host city for 2025 set to be announced by the end of August

Here's the press release:
www.srgssr.ch 
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, JosiahStuart, Tim G

The BBC won't compete in Junior Eurovision this year, despite two decent showings in their latest run of participation.

Not sure if S4C would want to re-enter after stopping participation due to COVID, though I think they finished near bottom every time. ITV also took part in the 2000s, but likewise I wouldn't think they would enter.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

I assume it doesn't really rate in any country. A shame they've pulled out but not a huge loss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

I would assume that contractually the BBC and EBU came up with some sort of deal or financial incentive towards the hosting of Eurovision 2023 in Liverpool if the BBC agreed to participate in JESC in the contests surrounding the event.

As that has now lapsed, I would assume the BBC had no real intention in bringing this forward beyond this unless ratings were good. Given it was relegated to BBC Two last year, I think the BBC's interests in it were already gone by then.

(21-06-2024, 01:11 PM)RDJ Wrote:  I would assume that contractually the BBC and EBU came up with some sort of deal or financial incentive towards the hosting of Eurovision 2023 in Liverpool if the BBC agreed to participate in JESC in the contests surrounding the event.

I think it was just a case of seeing if they could make a success out of a spin-off of another successful show. Plus it gave the Liverpool production team an additional opportunity to see how another host country put it all together. They committed to participation not being a one-off so that's why they came back in 2023 but ultimately the timeslot was always going to work against it I think. Perhaps it could have worked if it was on in primetime with a bit more of a promo, it is a pretty well made and enjoyable show these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • UTVLifer

(21-06-2024, 01:11 PM)RDJ Wrote:  I would assume that contractually the BBC and EBU came up with some sort of deal or financial incentive towards the hosting of Eurovision 2023 in Liverpool if the BBC agreed to participate in JESC in the contests surrounding the event.

As that has now lapsed, I would assume the BBC had no real intention in bringing this forward beyond this unless ratings were good. Given it was relegated to BBC Two last year, I think the BBC's interests in it were already gone by then.

I notice the theory going around amongst hardcore Eurovision fans is that it's due it being switched to Saturday evening, causing a clash with Strictly for the same audience. That or the budget is instead being allocated towards creating a national final for 2025 as apparently "The production team did attend a lot of national finals this year."
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • UTVLifer

S4C have no plan to re-enter Junior Eurovision. Not really surprised to b honest.

x.com