C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

Yes, I suspect it was just a case of them agreeing the financials. I doubt producers get the boost from series 1 to series 2 that they used too.

16 episodes were commissioned which is likely two series so suspect the second won't air till next year, but filming back to back cuts costs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

16 episodes and celeb specials have been quoted numerous times but what's not made clear is if the celeb specials are part of the 16 or not. If S2 and S3 have been filmed back to back then there must be a change to the format as S1 was 6 episodes and two civilian series only makes 12. Unless there's two celeb specials for next time in addition to the two already known about, which if included adds up to 16.

As it is, PopMaster is down as airing Mondays and Tuesdays 13/14/20/21 May with two celebs specials at first so S2 final will likely air 4 June. Or is the 16 episodes just one series after all and runs much longer than that?

Logically it would be five heats, a final and two celeb specials done twice.

Is the Last leg now going to come back for the June and 1st week of July? If that is the case were would Nevermets go?

C4 rarely seem to be able to run a show in the same slot from the start to finish of a series nowadays so if they did return The Last Leg for the election campaign and put it in the Friday night slot then moving the Nevermets wouldn't be too much of a problem. TBH it doesn't feel like Friday night material anyhow.

Not sure if each episode of the Nevermets is self contained or if stories play out over the series. If the former and The Last Leg was intended to return after it to air in July they could probably push episodes back to later in the summer.

(23-05-2024, 11:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not sure if each episode of the Nevermets is self contained or if stories play out over the series. If the former and The Last Leg was intended to return after it to air in July they could probably push episodes back to later in the summer.

That would do rather nicely as Nevermets could then go out for the rest of July and August and Last leg would return for Paralympic on 28th August. After that I Would be surprised if it come back.

The Nevermets feels more like E4 material, or something C4 would bung in the 10pm slot midweek, not so much on Fridays.

(23-05-2024, 11:29 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Is the Last leg now going to come back for the June and 1st week of July? If that is the case were would Nevermets go?

It didn’t sound like it was a possibility that was on the cards, they ended the last series with a rallying cry “if the election is before we return, vote wisely” sort of thing, not ‘we are back in August or sooner if an election is called’

I suppose it depends on whether Channel 4 can find some money down the back of the sofa, which is increasingly unlikely these days. They could possibly just take some episodes from the Autumn series instead, and make that shorter, but then they’d probably want to be on air for the US Election as well, possibly more so as Trump will give them more material.

(23-05-2024, 11:51 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It didn’t sound like it was a possibility that was on the cards, they ended the last series with a rallying cry “if the election is before we return, vote wisely” sort of thing, not ‘we are back in August or sooner if an election is called’

I suppose it depends on whether Channel 4 can find some money down the back of the sofa, which is increasingly unlikely these days. They could possibly just take some episodes from the Autumn series instead, and make that shorter, but then they’d probably want to be on air for the US Election as well, possibly more so as Trump will give them more material.

Depends if they're all even available though. As weve seen with Claire Balding. I doubt they all kept their diaries clear for a year just so they could be available at the drop of a hat. That's why it seems odd ch4 announced their election night lineup before knowing when it was actually happening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • UTVLifer

It seems PopMaster is now like Fifteen to One in that the grand final will consist of the highest-scoring winners from the heats with Ken saying to a winner this week that their score was likely to secure them a place in the final. His parting comments to a contestant who went out first also suggest returning contestants - "have you back again" (words to that effect).