TV Social Media Pres Gold

Richard talks about how Granada beat the other regions and won the contract for This Morning, but it just got me wondering. IIRC this predated the ITV Network Centre by a few years, so who actually had the say on who got the new daytime slot?

Didn't the big 5 (Thames, LWT, Central, Yorkshire and Granada) work together to make those decisions before then?

(20-05-2024, 07:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Richard talks about how Granada beat the other regions and won the contract for This Morning, but it just got me wondering. IIRC this predated the ITV Network Centre by a few years, so who actually had the say on who got the new daytime slot?

There used to be a 'top table' of the 5 biggest/ influential companies that agreed the schedule. That's why you would get more than one network documentary strand, different dramas and LE etc. In my opinion it was better for the viewer, if not for the smaller TV companies like Border or Westward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fluffy Bunny Feet's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

And mentioning Westward, it was ironically during one of their very few network commissions that the newsflash announcing they'd lost their franchise to TSW was aired.

(20-05-2024, 07:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Richard talks about how Granada beat the other regions and won the contract for This Morning, but it just got me wondering. IIRC this predated the ITV Network Centre by a few years, so who actually had the say on who got the new daytime slot?

The other unsuccessful regions being TVS and (I think) Tyne Tees.

Fern Britton hosted the TVS pilot with Dale Winton being one of the members of the “family”.

I’m sure Richard is on the record to say that Thames also put in for the show as well. He strongly believes the decision to give the contract to Granada was partly because of the Albert Dock location.

Easy to forget now that there was a year gap between Schools on ITV ending and This Morning coming on air, one would hazard a guess that the schedule was still decided by the Big 5 as it was for the rest of the day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • lookoutwales

The Five companies were to bid for the national contract:

* TVS: with a show called Home Today, hosted by Andy Craig and Fern Britton.
* Thames Television
* Yorkshire Television
* Tyne Tees Television
* Granada Television offered a show called This Morning

However not much is know about YTV or TT offering. London were like give it to Granada because of that View.