ITV Programming

(26-05-2024, 08:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Sadly seemed inevitable. Wonder if they'll use the branding for a FAST chanbel.
They've had the ITVX Kids FAST channel since last year. I don't see any point in duplicating that.

It seems like it’s one of those strands that’s been on borrowed time for a while, so it’s not too surprising. The vast majority of programmes are repeats or acquired from elsewhere, so there’s been little to no investment, but with the one exception of Sooty. It is my understanding there is a whole series that hasn’t been broadcast yet. It’ll be interesting to see if it turns up at all.
[-] The following 6 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, ethanjbrady, Ma76, Stuart, Tola

(26-05-2024, 09:30 PM)Stuart Wrote:  They've had the ITVX Kids FAST channel since last year. I don't see any point in duplicating that.
That is aimed at older kids though. I'd have thought they'd be more value in a FAST channel for younger kids where parents just want something in the background to keep them occupied rather than to be selecting shows on demand or playing out one series of the same show.

Little Be was a nice little brand though but I do wonder how aware parents of young kids might have been of it, especially if they never watched ITVBe. I don't think I ever saw it advertised on the main channel even though CITV and ITVBe was quite regularly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ash101, Ma76

(27-05-2024, 09:46 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  It seems like it’s one of those strands that’s been on borrowed time for a while, so it’s not too surprising. The vast majority of programmes are repeats or acquired from elsewhere, so there’s been little to no investment, but with the one exception of Sooty. It is my understanding there is a whole series that hasn’t been broadcast yet. It’ll be interesting to see if it turns up at all.

From my understanding, the 4th series was filmed about late last year by a different company which (I assume from what it says on the British Comedy Guide) was supposed to air then, but never did for some reason.

According to Wiki Sooty in its latest incarnation on ITVBe has been out of production since 2018, with a one off made a few years ago to promote an attraction in a theme park somewhere but nothing that I can see that there isn anything more than that.

Big gaps in production for Sooty seems to be a thing under the Richard Caddell ownership, as the previous incarnation only made three series as well, and then it was all relaunched a few years later for another series. This was never an issue under Corbett (Matthew and Harry) as they got an entire series out every year for over 40 years across two networks and two different brands.

ITV press release about BGT performance, they’re saying it’s the highest rating entertainment show of 2024 on any channel and also quote some social media stats:

www.itv.com 

(27-05-2024, 03:30 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  According to Wiki Sooty in its latest incarnation on ITVBe has been out of production since 2018, with a one off made a few years ago to promote an attraction in a theme park somewhere but nothing that I can see that there isn anything more than that.

Big gaps in production for Sooty seems to be a thing under the Richard Caddell ownership, as the previous incarnation only made three series as well, and then it was all relaunched a few years later for another series. This was never an issue under Corbett (Matthew and Harry) as they got an entire series out every year for over 40 years across two networks and two different brands.

There was a post from a Sooty fan site with a behind the scenes shot of Richard and Sooty in some kind of house setting, which suggests they're going back to format for the next series.

www.facebook.com 

It does seem odd that there's such long gaps between episodes. Richard does seem to focus more on the touring show though and recently did a one-off 'This is Your Life' type show for adults exposing the history behind the series.

I'm actually quite surprised that another channel has taken on Sooty by now, as it'd fit on CBeebies or Channel 5, now that ITV's kids output is very minimal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sjames's post:
  • Ma76

(27-05-2024, 03:30 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Big gaps in production for Sooty seems to be a thing under the Richard Caddell ownership, as the previous incarnation only made three series as well, and then it was all relaunched a few years later for another series. This was never an issue under Corbett (Matthew and Harry) as they got an entire series out every year for over 40 years across two networks and two different brands.
The early 00's Sooty was pre-Richard ownership IIRC. I think I right in saying that the owners at the time were behind unpopular changes that didn't work - Soo being 'dumbed down', some of the puppets being redesigned? That then led into the junk food advertising ban - I suspect that combination led to no recommission

The early 10's reboot I think suffered because ITV lost interest in pre-school children for a while. By the time the 2013 series aired there was very little pre-school programming on CITV. Sooty premiered around 7am on weekend mornings, which was as good as it got for pre-school shows at the time. Down the line, pre-school shows did make it back into the term time daytime schedule - including Sooty - but they clearly weren't a priority for a channel focused on an older audience

The 2018 series at just six episodes was very welcome, but in retrospect feels like a token recommission to coincide with the launch of LittleBe. A little new content to help promote the new strand, but not a serious investment in pre-school programming

Maybe at times Richard hasn't wanted to be filming new TV series, but I think factors beyond his control play a big part in explaining the gaps in production
[-] The following 1 user Likes excel99's post:
  • Ma76

Matthew Corbett sold Sooty in 1998 as he wanted to retire at that point, and Sooty & Co had ran for five years and IIRC Richard Caddell appeared more and more in the final series of that show, and then Sooty Heights turned up the following year which was a Caddell vehicle.

Sooty had been part owned by somebody else and Caddell eventually "saved" the bear for want of a better expression by buying him back in full which ultimately lead to the 2011 series
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76

(27-05-2024, 07:57 PM)excel99 Wrote:  The 2018 series at just six episodes was very welcome, but in retrospect feels like a token recommission to coincide with the launch of LittleBe. A little new content to help promote the new strand, but not a serious investment in pre-school programming
I suspect they're holding back the latest series to do something similar now to suggest a commitment to new content on ITVX.