Latter Days of BSB

This video shows the holding slide, broadcast after transmission of bsb ceased on the Marco Polo satellite. Where would the slide have been broadcast from?

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes robertclark125's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

There was a video, I think on the MHP private parts, actually showing the moment Sky News cut to that caption.

(13-09-2023, 12:31 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  AFAIK, that was a separate company - Crown Castle Communications, which was part of the launch consortium at Freeview.
Crown Castle is an American company who bought BBC transmission when it was privatised. They operated the BBC transmitter network and NTL the old IBA network. 

Crown Castle were bought by National Grid and then became National Grid Wireless. 

NTL were bought by Macqurie and became Arqiva which then bought NGW meaning all terrestrial transmission was brought under one company. 

Yes Crown Castle (as it then was), the BBC and Sky were the winners of the 3 DTT multiplexes after ITV Digital closed down, creating Freeview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales

(13-09-2023, 12:22 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There was a video, I think on the MHP private parts, actually showing the moment Sky News cut to that caption.

IIRC, the Thames MCR videos right at the point of handover/new years 1993 show the caption up on one of the monitors, which is curious.

(13-09-2023, 10:45 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Strange thing to say.
Anybody who works at a job and sticks it out for months will be upset when it gets pulled for whatever reason (the story of Wilko is the obvious example here) as you stick your own mark on things.  If somebody isn't upset when they go then either they aren't human or something's happened that makes you glad to go (any compassionate person would at least play the "sorry I'm leaving" card, even if they aren't). 

A previous job I held onto for nearly 13 years, got a bit of promotion along the way and redundancy came along.  Was I happy about that?  No, course I wasn't (if i was 68 and due to retire anyway, maybe I would have been, but retirement isn't an option at 36 so...).  Was I upset about leaving?  Yes, but the writing was on the wall so it wasn't a total surprise to me.  Sometimes you can see these things coming.  Anyway I found another work opportunity six months later and I'm still there six years later.

Job for life hasn't been a thing for years since long before BSB, I'm already on my fourth career job as it is, and I'm half expecting to change again (by choice or otherwise) at least twice before I get to retire.

The 'Job for life'  was inspired by the book about Al Jazeera written by Hugo Miles. The consensus being that if people had a job with the BBC then that would be for a considerable amount of time but that was in 1996 so obviously things have altered so it be strange now but not then.

My last job (social media) ended earlier this year when I was called into the boss's office and told that was it which after 5 and a half years felt like a kick in the teeth. (I wasn't even allowed to say goodbye) Right now I'm volunteering in the hope I can change careers at 45!

(13-09-2023, 09:33 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  There must have been a hell of a lot of devastated people when BSB closed. They probably thought that they had jobs for life and I doubt many were taken on by Sky.
Of course they were devastated, but if you get the opportunity to gather together to say goodbye it could be cathartic. I wasn't trying to suggest that it was any sort of celebration.

(13-09-2023, 11:05 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Of course they were devastated, but if you get the opportunity to gather together to say goodbye it could be cathartic. I wasn't trying to suggest that it was any sort of celebration.

I know you weren't suggesting they were celebrating. It can be very cathartic to say goodbye in that kind of situation. Having said that though I think those involved with BSB should be proud of what they did. BSB is a part of our broadcasting history albeit a smalll part and like history both good an bad should be remembered.
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • DavidV, Stuart

(13-09-2023, 09:33 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  There must have been a hell of a lot of devastated people when BSB closed. They probably thought that they had jobs for life and I doubt many were taken on by Sky.

I think the TUPE regulations existed even then - a former colleague of mine worked at BSB and I'm pretty sure continued doing the same job at Sky after the merger.

(14-09-2023, 06:35 PM)thegeek Wrote:   I think the TUPE regulations existed even then - a former colleague of mine worked at BSB and I'm pretty sure continued doing the same job at Sky after the merger.

Oh I'm sure the rules were in force then and that hopefully many found jobs at Sky.

Anybody with any sense looking at the workforce they'd inherited from the merger would say yeah these people seem to know what they're doing, they won't need retraining (or much in the way of retraining), lets keep as many of them as possible as it will be cheaper in the long run and we can keep this ship running (there probably would have been redundancies mind you).

Only a moron would lay off half the workforce just because and then decide to hire more people to replace them and pay out to train a bunch of people to do the same job of those they'd let go, and you'd cost the company more than it would have had you kept them in the first place!

Not sure how redundancy works when it comes to company mergers but pretty sure if you get kicked out because your company has merged with somebody else you'd get some redundancy money if they decide not to keep you.

TUPE laws seem to date from 1981.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • DavidV