BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(15-03-2024, 06:16 PM)DTV Wrote:  Nobody else has really done proper locals coverage in years, so it'd be surprising for anybody other than the BBC and Sky to be doing overnight programmes.
It's a bit of a different local election night compared with some other years - a mixture of district councils, unitary authorities and police commissioners.

Though the biggest election this time round is the London Assembly and London Mayor. However the results for those are usually counted and announced on the Friday. The winner of the mayoral election isn't normally announced until early evening.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(15-03-2024, 06:14 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  The speculation has now turned to 10th October. It would be one hell of a turn around if he come out of no10 and goes surprise..

Didn't Theresa May essentially do that in 2017 by ruling out a snap election but then calling one in June!

Wonder if the broadcasters were caught off guard by that back then given how soon it followed after the locals.
[-] The following 2 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • News76, UTVLifer

We’ll basically find out for sure in the next 10 days. The latest the PM can dissolve parliament for a May general election is 26 March. 10 October is increasingly likely to be the date he’ll call it, but he’s under immense internal pressure. In short:

1/ The opinion polls are terrible for him. The most recent has the Tories on 80 seats which is basically their worst performance in living history.

2/ Some MPs are terrified that the longer this goes on, the worse it gets. Basically those in ‘safe’ seats want it to be done asap if they’re to stand any chance of keeping their seats.

3/ Some advisors are warning that a terrible local election night in May will be the final nail in Sunak’s political coffin and he risks being fired in May.

So with all that in mind, the super casual
Rishi implying he knows when this will happen is nonsense. He’s terrified, his party is in complete chaos and the media knows this. All broadcasters and opposition parties are now effectively in holding position and ready to go into election mode in hours if required.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Globaltraffic24's post:
  • UTVLifer

That 10th October date seem to have been plucked out of thin air by the Independent - not been widely reported. I suspect 2nd May is still the working assumption until it can absolutely mot be. If that is missed I'd say June or July is still more likely as party conference season complicates the autumn. It will be when it will be though but frustrating for all those involved they can't plan with any certainty.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

Someone else I've seen has been insistent for weeks that the date is the 14th November. The reality is almost certainly that nobody knows (probably not even Rishi himself), and dates are just being flung around.

(16-03-2024, 04:35 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Someone else I've seen has been insistent for weeks that the date is the 14th November. The reality is almost certainly that nobody knows (probably not even Rishi himself), and dates are just being flung around.

They would not want the date close to the US Election.

(16-03-2024, 04:35 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Someone else I've seen has been insistent for weeks that the date is the 14th November. The reality is almost certainly that nobody knows (probably not even Rishi himself), and dates are just being flung around.

I believe The Telegraph actually reported last year that it pretty much could not be held November-January due to the US Election (basically some long-standing agreement that Five-Eyes countries won't hold elections at the same time, incase a major geopolitical event occurs with two Five-Eyes countries in the process of changing governments and with inexperienced ministers.

A bit of a pain for anyone who has said they'll quit their current role after the election, such as Kirsty Wark.

Guess it's also an issue for booking things like OB trucks and other external resources - no doubt there is a working agreement but broadcasters usually like elections and big news events to avoid other big events. Wasn't part of the reason football matches were cancelled in the wake of the Queens death due to the practical availability of OB trucks?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

I think the ONLY thing we can be sure about it to mark the 28th January on the calendar and know it will be some point before then, anything else is completely up in the air.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

(16-03-2024, 09:09 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I think the ONLY thing we can be sure about it to mark the 28th January on the calendar and know it will be some point before then, anything else is completely up in the air.

Indeed, although I can assure you all. It is NEVER going to be in November. Our PM has power but not that much. That’s one week after the US election, which means effectively no government in the UK or US in Oct and Nov during a time of great geopolitical tension. If Sunak even considers attempting that he’ll end up in the tower!