Challenge TV

(16-05-2024, 10:47 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Millionaire currently airing in the wrong aspect ratio - black bars on all four sides.

The Classic Millionaire shows from 2004 (covering Series 5 - 9) are still airing in a mixture of 4:3 Letterbox & 16:9.

Sky don't seem to bother replacing old 14:9 copies on their channels very often... even for shows that were made for the channels themselves where they surely must have access to the 16:9 masters. Still a fair few of them floating around even though the channels have been in 16:9 for a long time.

Whereas UKTV replaced theirs very quickly, I think they were all gone within a couple of years of them going 16:9 (with the exception of the 4:3- not even 14:9- copies of The Bill, which were still around until the current repeat run finally got the 16:9 ones).
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Happy2001

A lot of Sky material was made for them and not by them, so they're effectively indie shows. They may have perpetual rights to being able to air them being the commissioning network, but doesn't mean you get a free new print. They probably have to pay for it.

Road Wars for example, which has pretty much never been off the air since being out of production since 2010, was made by Raw Cut, who make the pretty much the same show in new packaging for Channel 5's Police Interceptors and its Spike spinoffs.

Its only been since Sky Studios was formed (and maybe previous on occasion under Sky Vision) they're effectively Sky productions, like Cobra for example which is a Sky Studios co-production. And all those shows that Ross Kemp did for them? Tiger Aspect.

Not that the logistics of this stuff matter to most people, "its on Channel 4, they've obviously made it", despite we know they don't actually make anything Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Happy2001, lookoutwales, Ma76, Stuart, WillPS

I notice the Blockbusters airings have suddenly vanished and been replaced with Through The Keyhole, and whatever was on air at 6pm previously has now been replaced by double helpings of Bullseye (in addition to the 5pm shows).

Not sure how far Challenge got into Blockbusters before it was ended, though I know they were on Series 2.

It was still 1984 last I looked, which yes, would be series 2. I would guess maybe they only bought the first two series?

Liquid gold YTV ident gets an outing thanks to these Through the Keyhole repeats, the first of which is from April 1987. I guess it'll vanish later in the run since frontcaps were dropped later that year.

There was an extra Blockbusters episode at 5pm last Friday though it didn't appear to be the last of series 2. Bridge of Lies was at 6pm until Friday.

Think they only brought the first two series of Through the Keyhole as well?

Did notice a few weeks ago they were dropping the 11pm Bullseye showings to accommodate The Family Chase at 10pm - with Classic Millionaire moving to 11pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Happy2001

The Crystal Maze has quietly slipped back into the 10am slot on Sundays for Series 2.

Curiously, they've been running trails for Through the Keyhole as "starting 3rd June" at 4pm even though it's been back in that slot for a couple of weeks - not sure whether or not they've picked up a new batch of episodes.

For what it's worth, Series 2 has the Liquid Gold ident kept intact.

(02-06-2024, 08:18 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  The Crystal Maze has quietly slipped back into the 10am slot on Sundays for Series 2.

Curiously, they've been running trails for Through the Keyhole as "starting 3rd June" at 4pm even though it's been back in that slot for a couple of weeks - not sure whether or not they've picked up a new batch of episodes.

The online TV Sky EPG suggests its Series 3 (Episode 2), which would be interesting considering they went to a certain Mr Savile's house in that episode according to the table on Wikipedia... So I suspect its got the wrong entry.

(02-06-2024, 08:18 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  The Crystal Maze has quietly slipped back into the 10am slot on Sundays for Series 2.

They've actually been running Crystal Maze in a Sunday 10am slot, ever since they started re-airing them back in February, but because they were showing five episodes a week for S1-S4, the Sunday repeat of the same episodes is wildly behind. I know the repeat got skipped for the bank holiday weekends, so it has been turfed out of the slot every so often. I wonder if they intend to bring back the Ed Tudor-Pole episodes later in the year, after going through this relatively slow "rehashing" of the episodes they've shown already....

Also I discovered recently (thanks to the existence of a YouTube channel) that Challenge have actually shown the Christmas Specials in the current DOG era (ie with the 3-block C that spawns the "Challenge" text for about 2 seconds after ad breaks), but for whatever reason, haven't chosen to re-air them since then.

Not sure if that was just them burning off the "assets" at the time and they just don't intend to show them again, but would be good if all remaining episodes are re-aired (S5 - S6, and all specials). I still keep an eye out for them on the TV Guide, in the hope they do get shown again....

(02-06-2024, 08:50 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  Also I discovered recently (thanks to the existence of a YouTube channel) that Challenge have actually shown the Christmas Specials in the current DOG era (ie with the 3-block C that spawns the "Challenge" text for about 2 seconds after ad breaks), but for whatever reason, haven't chosen to re-air them since then.

Challenge have always treated the Christmas specials differently and aired them separately. I dare say they've never been part of a run, they always go from the end of Series 1 (for example) to the first adult show of Series 2 and so on.

They'll probably turn up towards the end of the year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • SuperSajuuk