BBC/ITV North West News

(18-05-2024, 08:17 PM)Mike Wrote:  I really don't understand the secrecy around these new sets, I get it at the beginning but given these sets are everywhere now we all know what it will look like and we know what they look like under construction.
I doubt it has anything to do with secrecy, more like health & safety or just letting people get on with their job uninterrupted. You don't want random unnecessary people entering what is essentially a busy working area.

Many people could be working on completing the set, including the lighting changes, or conducting tests and trials before the launch next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • harshy

Not long now anyway to witness what they’ve done with the space :-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • Stuart

(18-05-2024, 08:17 PM)Mike Wrote:  I really don't understand the secrecy around these new sets, I get it at the beginning but given these sets are everywhere now we all know what it will look like and we know what they look like under construction.
Similarly though as the "new" set has been widely seen around the country there is no urgency to tease enthusiasts with pictures of it too.

Its usually best to let then debut on screen and be first seen in the situation viewers will actually see them. Often a snapshot of the set beforehand taken by staff and put up on socials doesn't always show off a new set in the best of light, especially as they're usually much smaller than they appear on screen and lighting literally can make the difference.

Yes, it’s always best that a new set is first seen anywhere when it launches on air. During testing and piloting, lots of things go wrong, the lighting isn’t finalised until the very end, pilots usually involve ‘disaster recovery’ (where breakdowns of all sorts are tried out). So if someone popped their head around the door and took a quick snap, they may well end up sharing something far from finished. It’s not usually about maximum secrecy, more about professional pride in launching something when it’s ready and not before.
[-] The following 3 users Like Deejay's post:
  • Brekkie, Moz, Stuart

I think they will have rotated the set taken away those plasmas will have given some additional space to play with, I think it will be a great result and unlike Leeds their white balance will be correct as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • Stuart

Roger said on Friday the breakfast and lunch bulletins would be in the temporary home for a couple more weeks.

(19-05-2024, 10:06 AM)steve Wrote:  Roger said on Friday the breakfast and lunch bulletins would be in the temporary home for a couple more weeks.

Is this perhaps work to build a gallery that can be used during Breakfast and One rather than being based in the newsroom?
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • JexedBack

I presume they might also rehearse using the studio as a fallback option for Breakfast and the One in case of a studio failure?

(19-05-2024, 04:59 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I presume they might also rehearse using the studio as a fallback option for Breakfast and the One in case of a studio failure?
I'd have thought the 'temporary' set may remain in place afterwards for that reason. It allows for NWT to decamp there if the national news needs to decamp to NWT's main studio.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart

(20-05-2024, 10:59 AM)Keith Wrote:  I'd have thought the 'temporary' set may remain in place afterwards for that reason.
An excellent idea, Keith. No point in dismantling it and moving it elsewhere. Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice