5 Live turns 30

5 Live is going all out to mark its 30th birthday on Thursday.

Jane Garvey and Peter Allen return as guests for Breakfast and Drive, along with special editions of Wake Up to Money, Nicky Campbell's phone-in, the Adrian Chiles show and 5 Live Sport.

There'll also be a Yearbook feature throughout the day - with all 30 clips available online and via the socials.

radiotoday.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Happy2001, Toby brown

Matt Chorley is joining 5 Live from Times Radio to present a new politics-driven afternoon show in the autumn.

radiotoday.co.uk 

Nihal Arathanayake announced his departure yesterday - instead, he’ll be focusing on his Headliners podcast for Sounds, which will air on Sunday evenings from September.

radiotoday.co.uk 

I wonder if Must Watch is continuing or is it ending as well?
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • UTVLifer

For all of Nihal Arthanayake's strange fawning over Jordan Peterson, I still feel like this is a downgrade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • UTVLifer

I know it's probably going to be a big autumn for politics, but it does seem strange for 5 Live to go for a politics orientated afternoon show, which it's never been before.

I wonder if the programme will be quietly broadened in its scope once the election's over. I've not heard Matt but have seen some clips of his show online and he always seems to be good with politics, but also very entertaining and engaging. Think he could be utilised well across the BBC.

Will he be doing it from Salford I wonder?
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales, Toby brown, UTVLifer

I guess part of the reason they've done it because the post-PMQs section is often very short if / when it overruns.

(21-05-2024, 04:37 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I know it's probably going to be a big autumn for politics, but it does seem strange for 5 Live to go for a politics orientated afternoon show, which it's never been before.

I wonder if the programme will be quietly broadened in its scope once the election's over. I've not heard Matt but have seen some clips of his show online and he always seems to be good with politics, but also very entertaining and engaging. Think he could be utilised well across the BBC.

Funnily enough, Times Radio are going for much the same thinking by recruiting Andrew Neil to present an similar political afternoon show from September.

Ed Vaizey and Ayesha Hazarika are sharing the 1-3pm slot until then.

radiotoday.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Michael 18

Shame - BBC Nick Eardly would have been good for this and has been doing 5 live cover recently!

(21-05-2024, 06:23 PM)GraemeT88 Wrote:  Shame - BBC Nick Eardly would have been good for this and has been doing 5 live cover recently!
Problem is that if he's doing a permanent 5 day a week radio show it takes him off reporting duties during the election. He's better off covering the election campaign as a reporter

I really rate him and Chris Mason as political correspondents, always a good watch
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Jeff, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

Well, this is an interesting term to the news of Matt joining 5Live & Andrew Neil joining Times Radio....as they're going to miss the main event
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AJB39, lookoutwales, UTVLifer