BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Well the presentation has gone backwards on news now verified live by putting it back to studio C, the UK feed has been massively upgraded from a tv screen in the balcony to a fully fledged studio setup but now only has the default bbc news branding you can’t win.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

It's ridiculous, the UK opt out is a stream of endless live events anyway, this hearing, press events, campaing speaches etc. It doesn't even need a proper studio while World's regular programming does.

Anyway, it's just for a month, hopefuly....

It does seem odd to put World back in C and the news channel in E. I'd have thought the other way round but maybe there is an off air reason behind it that we can't see.
[-] The following 6 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, oscillon

(23-05-2024, 07:57 PM)mark Wrote:  Great idea to use the Monday Night Football studio for election night - they get an impressive new set without having to build one. NBC and MSNBC have used sports studios on election night in the past.

In terms of graphics, when did Sky last have the poll numbers permanently on- screen during an election campaign? They started doing it with the 2001 graphics that launched the moment that election was called - and I remember them doing it as recently as 2010, but they're not doing it now.

Yeah it totally makes sense to utilize what you already have within the Sky family. Plus think of the money being saved! Literally thousands of pounds. Something tells me that the budget played a part in this decision. I do like the idea of utilizing the MNF set. And yes NBC regularly used the Football Night in America set back in the day. But they didnt make a big deal about taking it over. Personally for a us presentation nerds, the promo was cool. The wider public, the promo of them taking over....ehh. Not sure if that promo will move the needle. It seems it would have made sense to showcase of highlight their coverage plans more. Because it kinda made it feel....like we cant afford to build a fancy set so we are going to use yours instead. (Well thats how it felt to me). It think it would have been best to say nothing. Like NBC did when they used to take over the Football Night In America set.

I do hope Sky will update the front of the MNF desk to make feel unique to the election. Does it change colours? In any event. Nice budget choice for SkyNews. Though I really not liking all the black in the graphics on the video walls. Hopefully thats not going to be there the whole time. Kinda boring.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Stuart

I realise pre-merger this wouldn't be notable whatsoever, but it's great to see some more dynamic presentation coming back to the News Channel. There was an interview earlier in Studio E with quite a lot of camera movement including this nice 'sweep' around the desk.

Looking at the World feed, it's extremely stark how bland Studio C is now in comparison to E.

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Deejay

I’ve had an eye on the news channel over the past few hours and the pacing has been a little strange.

At 11am things started off quite busy, with a headlines sequence that was followed by a series of live interviews with correspondents (both BBC and external) about election things. There was then a bit on the Post Office inquiry, which was interrupted for coverage of a live speech by the Lib Dems, before going back to discuss the inquiry again. Not a packaged report in sight, but it felt reasonably pacy and they covered a range of topics, albeit mostly election-related.

However, when they went back to the Post Office feed the second time round they proceeded to show it, uninterrupted, for nigh-on 45 minutes - it felt like everyone that had been putting the programme together up to that point had wondered off!

Ben Thompson was the presenter at 11am hour, so did he perhaps go to present Business Today on the World feed for half an hour? It was like returning to one of the single-story feeds they’ve been putting on the BBC News website, as with the exception of an occasional name caption for Paula Vennells, the story strap read ‘Ex-Post Office boss accused of living in ‘la-la land’’ for almost the entire time too. In days of old, this would have regularly been updated with quotes and further background to whatever was being discussed.

At around 12:10 things seemed to whir back into life, Ben Thompson reappeared and there was a further 50 minutes with a range of interviews and occasional clips. The Post Office inquiry got a couple of extra minutes in that time, but otherwise attention moved elsewhere.
[-] The following 6 users Like Critique's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, MLehon, RhysJR, thePineapple

(24-05-2024, 08:07 AM)South Wrote:  It's not always a done deal by 5pm the next day, if parliament is hung, which is possible the result may not be known for several days after. In 2010 it was not fully confirmed until the following Monday that the conservatives had struck a deal with the Lib Dems.

That aside I am very aware rolling coverage will likely be drawing to its conclusion, however typically after an election the main evening bulletins attract a significant audience for a sum up of the previous 24 hours and who is in cabinet etc.

I do think all days news on Friday would be too much and I suspect for the BBC, Wimbledon would offer a respite.

ITV1 would probably end news coverage at 4pm or 4.30pm if they have the Euro QF match.

(24-05-2024, 01:11 PM)Critique Wrote:  I’ve had an eye on the news channel over the past few hours and the pacing has been a little strange.

At 11am things started off quite busy, with a headlines sequence that was followed by a series of live interviews with correspondents (both BBC and external) about election things. There was then a bit on the Post Office inquiry, which was interrupted for coverage of a live speech by the Lib Dems, before going back to discuss the inquiry again. Not a packaged report in sight, but it felt reasonably pacy and they covered a range of topics, albeit mostly election-related.

However, when they went back to the Post Office feed the second time round they proceeded to show it, uninterrupted, for nigh-on 45 minutes - it felt like everyone that had been putting the programme together up to that point had wondered off!

Ben Thompson was the presenter at 11am hour, so did he perhaps go to present Business Today on the World feed for half an hour? It was like returning to one of the single-story feeds they’ve been putting on the BBC News website, as with the exception of an occasional name caption for Paula Vennells, the story strap read ‘Ex-Post Office boss accused of living in ‘la-la land’’ for almost the entire time too. In days of old, this would have regularly been updated with quotes and further background to whatever was being discussed.

At around 12:10 things seemed to whir back into life, Ben Thompson reappeared and there was a further 50 minutes with a range of interviews and occasional clips. The Post Office inquiry got a couple of extra minutes in that time, but otherwise attention moved elsewhere.

Had the election not been called I bet the UK would still have opted out to show the post office enquiry, it's major news this week and Sky have been doing similar.
The thing I did notice was they opted out of the enquiry for key moment of the campaign trail followed by some analysis which was probably the correct approach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South's post:
  • MLehon

Wimbledon will almost certainly be on BBC Two for the day, as it's the timings for prime-ministerial changeovers can always be a bit fluid, especially after an election. In 2019, Johnson didn't go to the Palace and return to Downing Street until mid-afternoon, whereas in 2017, May had been to the Palace and was back at No.10 before the News at 1.

So it'd be best to not even bother scheduling Wimbledon for BBC One that day to be on the safe side, though I'd imagine both the BBC and ITV will be done with rolling coverage by the time of the Euro QF match that night.
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AJB39, Jeff, Stuart

(24-05-2024, 10:27 AM)Bluecortina Wrote:  I wouldn't think TV Centre had anything like the technical capacity to cover a national election these days. What's in front of the cameras is one thing, the technical sophistication, facilities and staff required behind the scenes is a whole different kettle of fish. ITN are ideally set up for this kind of coverage and of course that's where ITV's coverage will be coming from.

I agree with you that it's very unlikely to happen - however using a studio floor in one building with a gallery in another is certainly a lot easier than it used to be. (Getting the required infrastructure in place in the next six weeks is another matter!)