BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(24-05-2024, 12:28 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  It does seem odd to put World back in C and the news channel in E. I'd have thought the other way round but maybe there is an off air reason behind it that we can't see.

With it being a general election UK licence fee payers should IMO get the best studio and the best presentation, not the third class option which they have been getting from the UK opt outs since the merger
[-] The following 3 users Like scoobiesnacks's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, ViridianFan

I realise that BBC Parliament's budget is basically zero, but it's a bit of a shame there wasn't a nerd willing to stick around for the extra hour to switch between the Lords and Commons feeds for Prorogation this evening. Back in the day, Daniel Brittan (the channel's editor) would commentate it, sometimes with a guest - often Betty Boothroyd. I feel like the standard of the commissioners' hat doffing has slipped since they regularly rated it.
[-] The following 10 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, dvboy, kookaburra, LargelyALurker, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(23-05-2024, 08:39 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  Maybe he’ll be on from 8-10pm? I certainly hope his show won’t be dropped as I’ve enjoyed it so far.
It was dropped tonight. Jonathan Samuels continued The Newshour at 7pm and Gillian Joseph was presenting Sky News (with the Sky News Tonight backdrop) from 8pm.

Who was going to be the original host of tonight's Have I Got News For You? Phil Wang said he was a late call-up on Wednesday night following the previous host needing to be removed for 'impartiality reasons' surrounding an election needing to be called.

Despite HIGNFY scheduled series ending in a fortnight, Amol Rajan will be hosting an episode on election day+1. That episode is usually filmed on the Friday morning rather than Thursday evening I believe, and more often than not has had Jo Brand hosting in the recent past.

x.com 

(24-05-2024, 09:16 PM)harryb Wrote:  It was dropped tonight. Jonathan Samuels continued The Newshour at 7pm and Gillian Joseph was presenting Sky News (with the Sky News Tonight backdrop) from 8pm.

Yep. Hopefully it was just dropped because of the Bank Holiday Weekend but we’ll find out next week. It appears the seven day a week Politics Hub will kick in next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • Michael 18

It was actually supposed to be Amol Rajan this week.

No, Amol was due to be hosting tonight, he was the presenter who was pulled. One of his later tweets confirmed.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(24-05-2024, 09:17 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Who was going to be the original host of tonight's Have I Got News For You? Phil Wang said he was a late call-up on Wednesday night following the previous host needing to be removed for 'impartiality reasons' surrounding an election needing to be called.

Despite HIGNFY scheduled series ending in a fortnight, Amol Rajan will be hosting an episode on election day+1. That episode is usually filmed on the Friday morning rather than Thursday evening I believe, and more often than not has had Jo Brand hosting in the recent past.

x.com 

Amol was due to be this week’s presenter.

x.com 

Presumably he was taken off as he's a journalist and the BBC want to keep them away from satire?
[-] The following 4 users Like Andy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, RhysJR, Stuart

(24-05-2024, 01:11 PM)Critique Wrote:  I’ve had an eye on the news channel over the past few hours and the pacing has been a little strange.

At 11am things started off quite busy, with a headlines sequence that was followed by a series of live interviews with correspondents (both BBC and external) about election things. There was then a bit on the Post Office inquiry, which was interrupted for coverage of a live speech by the Lib Dems, before going back to discuss the inquiry again. Not a packaged report in sight, but it felt reasonably pacy and they covered a range of topics, albeit mostly election-related.

However, when they went back to the Post Office feed the second time round they proceeded to show it, uninterrupted, for nigh-on 45 minutes - it felt like everyone that had been putting the programme together up to that point had wondered off!

Ben Thompson was the presenter at 11am hour, so did he perhaps go to present Business Today on the World feed for half an hour? It was like returning to one of the single-story feeds they’ve been putting on the BBC News website, as with the exception of an occasional name caption for Paula Vennells, the story strap read ‘Ex-Post Office boss accused of living in ‘la-la land’’ for almost the entire time too. In days of old, this would have regularly been updated with quotes and further background to whatever was being discussed.

At around 12:10 things seemed to whir back into life, Ben Thompson reappeared and there was a further 50 minutes with a range of interviews and occasional clips. The Post Office inquiry got a couple of extra minutes in that time, but otherwise attention moved elsewhere.

I was switching between the BBC and Sky and both were seemingly doing the same. The issue with covering inquiries is that you need to let it play out and listen to the testimony without interrupting. I think the news channel got the balance right with its coverage of the PO and the election. I think maybe more could be done on screen to cover other news whilst watching the live PO footage.

That Tweet almost makes it sound like there was always going to be an episode that week, which would have been a bit strange