BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(24-05-2024, 04:07 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Wimbledon will almost certainly be on BBC Two for the day, as it's the timings for prime-ministerial changeovers can always be a bit fluid, especially after an election. In 2019, Johnson didn't go to the Palace and return to Downing Street until mid-afternoon, whereas in 2017, May had been to the Palace and was back at No.10 before the News at 1.

So it'd be best to not even bother scheduling Wimbledon for BBC One that day to be on the safe side, though I'd imagine both the BBC and ITV will be done with rolling coverage by the time of the Euro QF match that night.

Wimbledon would be scheduled on both BBC One and Two in the afternoon so it wouldn't be a big problem to drop it from BBC One if necessary, as they will presumably do it for the Euros.

If there is a scheduling issue in the evening they could use BBC Four which they have done for Wimbledon on a rare occasion in the past.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • Stuart

(24-05-2024, 09:17 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Despite HIGNFY scheduled series ending in a fortnight, Amol Rajan will be hosting an episode on election day+1. That episode is usually filmed on the Friday morning rather than Thursday evening I believe, and more often than not has had Jo Brand hosting in the recent past.

x.com 

Sophie Ridge is due to be a guest on next week's which will be interesting.

Ah, but that would require judicious use of the lower thirds and actually-useful pushback, which I very much doubt they’d bother with!
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • LargelyALurker

(24-05-2024, 04:31 PM)scoobiesnacks Wrote:  With it being a general election UK licence fee payers should IMO get the best studio and the best presentation, not the third class option which they have been getting from the UK opt outs since the merger

I have to agree with you on that one.

I do wonder how much the warning from the electoral commission about fake information being put out by outside players. I would put money on bbc news/bbc verify doing lots around spotting fakes and AI created content. You’d probably find most people will reconsider studio E as for UK viewers it’s the studio they’re most used to seeing. If they moved to Studio C with the fake backdrop and then have lots of presenters the uk public don’t recognise as much, if they post clips of it to social media people may question if it.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(24-05-2024, 08:34 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I realise that BBC Parliament's budget is basically zero, but it's a bit of a shame there wasn't a nerd willing to stick around for the extra hour to switch between the Lords and Commons feeds for Prorogation this evening. Back in the day, Daniel Brittan (the channel's editor) would commentate it, sometimes with a guest - often Betty Boothroyd. I feel like the standard of the commissioners' hat doffing has slipped since they regularly rated it.

Who would be the guest of choice these days as Betty Boothroyd is - very regrettably - no longer with us?

I can't think of anybody who has both a detailed knowledge of the procedural aspects yet is a relatively uncontroversial figure, respected and admired across the political spectrum?

Maybe it would need a panel of guests these days to get that kind of balance.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(24-05-2024, 01:07 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I realise pre-merger this wouldn't be notable whatsoever, but it's great to see some more dynamic presentation coming back to the News Channel. There was an interview earlier in Studio E with quite a lot of camera movement including this nice 'sweep' around the desk.

Looking at the World feed, it's extremely stark how bland Studio C is now in comparison to E.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

Glad you liked it. It’s nice to be able to drop stuff like that in again
[-] The following 19 users Like Deejay's post:
  • AJB39, ALV, AndrewP, arbrax, bai4943, bkman1990, bob, chrisherald, itsrobert, Jayesyn, MFTJA, Mike, Moz, oscillon, Rxtx, Steve in Pudsey, SuperSajuuk, TVHead, UTVLifer

(24-05-2024, 04:07 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Wimbledon will almost certainly be on BBC Two for the day, as it's the timings for prime-ministerial changeovers can always be a bit fluid, especially after an election. In 2019, Johnson didn't go to the Palace and return to Downing Street until mid-afternoon, whereas in 2017, May had been to the Palace and was back at No.10 before the News at 1.

So it'd be best to not even bother scheduling Wimbledon for BBC One that day to be on the safe side, though I'd imagine both the BBC and ITV will be done with rolling coverage by the time of the Euro QF match that night.

And if the polls are correct it could be a PM changeover which hasn’t happened on the day after the election since 1997.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • AndrewP, Milkshake, Stuart, UTVLifer

(23-05-2024, 08:25 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  www.skygroup.sky 

Kay doing 10pm-7am with Sophy Ridge presenting from Westminster from 7am.

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, it makes sense to have Kay present Sky's election night coverage considering she's their Chief Presenter and Sophy anchor coverage of (assuming the result reflects the current polls) the transition of power. On the other hand though, you would think Sophy being the Lead Politics Presenter means she should be the person fronting the election night coverage.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jeff's post:
  • JosiahStuart, Stuart, UTVLifer

(25-05-2024, 12:33 AM)Jeff Wrote:  I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, it makes sense to have Kay present Sky's election night coverage considering she's their Chief Presenter and Sophy anchor coverage of (assuming the result reflects the current polls) the transition of power. On the other hand though, you would think Sophy being the Lead Politics Presenter means she should be the person fronting the election night coverage.
I agree, it's a difficult one to call. It's a shame they lost Dermot Murnaghan last year, as he was a very good anchor in 2019. I'm surprised that Mark Austin doesn't feature in the team.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, JJJJ, UTVLifer

I'm personally curious as to whether the BBC Nations will mount their own election night shows (certainly BBC Cymru will do that for S4C)

So far as radio goes, the last few general elections saw Radio Wales simulcast BBC1 Wales while Radio Cymru simulcast S4C and have done with it (albeit with their breakfast news shows coming on air early)

At the last Senedd election - when they had daytime counts - we saw a return to separate TV and radio coverage, though whether we'll see that with the traditional overnight count remains to be seen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • UTVLifer