BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(24-05-2024, 08:34 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I realise that BBC Parliament's budget is basically zero, but it's a bit of a shame there wasn't a nerd willing to stick around for the extra hour to switch between the Lords and Commons feeds for Prorogation this evening. Back in the day, Daniel Brittan (the channel's editor) would commentate it, sometimes with a guest - often Betty Boothroyd. I feel like the standard of the commissioners' hat doffing has slipped since they regularly rated it.
I assume BBC Parliament will now go to mainly simulcasting the news channel, with the odd opt out for events in Scotland, NI and Wales. Not sure if during previous campaigns they were used for extended live coverage of campaign events. I think they did rerun some of the debates.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

Yes - thought he might be more prominant but they might hold him back to anchor on Friday night. I don't recall him ever being too involved in the ITV election coverage when he was there either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

(25-05-2024, 12:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - thought he might be more prominant but they might hold him back to anchor on Friday night. I don't recall him ever being too involved in the ITV election coverage when he was there either.

I only recall Mark co-anchoring ITV's Election coverage on the morning after the 2010 election, alongside Katie Derham.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GMc's post:
  • UTVLifer

Having started a bit of reminiscence of BBC Parliament of old in the current BBC News thread, it reminded me of their role during Vote 2001 - which was largely to carry live pressers and campaign events.

Someone - possibly just a staffer at Millbank Studios - came up with a 10 minute filler track for the gaps between transmissions. I remember recording off air to MiniDisc (complete with a slightly dodgy join in the middle, after having not managed to get the whole thing in one go), and I think later uploading it to the erstwhile TV Forum.

I also made sure it also went out to the master control rooms of Europe over a holding caption before the world feed of the 2010 general election.

I've not been able to find my original file, but it seems that DIMBLEBOT has kept a copy for posterity. Enjoy.
soundcloud.com 

I also have no idea which year this cacophony of a News 24 Election theme would be from - I'd guess also 2001.
up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, TVFan, UTVLifer

(25-05-2024, 12:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I assume BBC Parliament will now go to mainly simulcasting the news channel, with the odd opt out for events in Scotland, NI and Wales. Not sure if during previous campaigns they were used for extended live coverage of campaign events. I think they did rerun some of the debates.

As BBC1 will be required on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 July to allow in particular the Nations and Regions to opt, it's a pity the
"national" HD spectrum of BBC Parliament can't be used temporarily this year for Wimbledon with a temporary rename given particularly given the summer of Sport. It really is time that everything Sport is not just on BBC1 as remote controls do a wonderful job! By using the Parliament spectrum it would save what likely will be a mismatch of everything on BBC1 and no clear one "stop shop" for any of the competing events with ever moving programme start times of News programmes due to Wimbledon matches and the Euro quarter final due late afternoon on 5 July. This could be innovative for the BBC by ensuring proper News programmes on BBC1 and in the Nations and Regions but probably a step too far for them! 😕

(25-05-2024, 01:33 PM)MLehon Wrote:  As BBC1 will be required on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 July to allow in particular the Nations and Regions to opt, it's a pity the
"national" HD spectrum of BBC Parliament can't be used temporarily this year for Wimbledon with a temporary rename given particularly given the summer of Sport. It really is time that everything Sport is not just on BBC1 as remote controls do a wonderful job! By using the Parliament spectrum it would save what likely will be a mismatch of everything on BBC1 and no clear one "stop shop" for any of the competing events with ever moving programme start times of News programmes due to Wimbledon matches and the Euro quarter final due late afternoon on 5 July. This could be innovative for the BBC by ensuring proper News programmes on BBC1 and in the Nations and Regions but probably a step too far for them! 😕

What on earth do you mean putting wimbledon and euros on BBC Parliament, I think election on Parliament and Euros/Wimbledon on BBC 1 because people do at least need escapism on the main channels away from the doom and gloom that is news,
[-] The following 1 user Likes shropshireguy28's post:
  • Telefunken

It's been a long time since BBC Parliament has been handed over to the red button team and arguably not necessary now the iPlayer is the focus of extra streams.

The BBC is fine - they've BBC1, BBC2 and BBC News to cover up to three events and no reason why election fans can't be expected to head over to BBC News rather than sports fans being sent away from BBC1/2 come 4pm. Worst comes to the worst and the BBC have a Euros match at 5pm but the election is still deemed worthy of rolling news then Wimbledon will just drop to the red button for a couple of hours before 7pm.

The BBC have I think the first two choices of the quarter finals and that 5pm match could include either Scotland or England. England would need to come second in their group then win their round of 16 match, whilst Scotland could be in it if either they win their group and win their round of 16 match (which could be against England) or finish third in the group and the ranking of the four third place losers puts them in that side of the draw. Obviously if it ends up being England v Scotland there is no way they're putting that on BBC Parliament!

Again Scotland or England could be in the evening match if they come third in their group, but if England win their group they won't play till Saturday, as would Scotland if they finish second. So although there is a chance both teams could play on Friday, either in both matches or against each other at 5pm, the odds probably suggest they don't so the BBC will only have to screen one match, especially as there is the round of 16 to get through first.

As for ITV - nobody is particularly concerned about what happens to their coverage should ITV1 show the 5pm match (and it will certainly won't be on ITV4). They've ITVX to continue live news coverage on if they need too - but however the matches fall either BBC1 or ITV1 will likely be able to have their full evening news line up. Most viewers will be sick of election coverage by then anyway.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

Is it this coming Monday the BBC News channel will have a spilt feed for UK only past highlighted recently in releation to the election?

(25-05-2024, 01:37 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  What on earth do you mean putting wimbledon and euros on BBC Parliament, I think election on Parliament and Euros/Wimbledon on BBC 1 because people do at least need escapism on the main channels away from the doom and gloom that is news,

If the above is not in jest, so what is your suggestion for News Coverage in the Nations and Regions then? Local News in England is only available through BBC1. In NI too for example I expect there will be local TV Election programmes given at least four seats of eighteen (Lagan Valley, South Antrim, East Belfast and North Down) could be close in their result. UTV now a shadow of it's former self does an hour here and there of Election programmes and can't be relied upon to stay with things as their resources aren't as available as they once were. A difficult time for the schedulers yes but let's see some innovative solutions to serve all who have to pay the licence fee.

(24-05-2024, 11:35 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  And if the polls are correct it could be a PM changeover which hasn’t happened on the day after the election since 1997.

The BBC give its self more time than it needed back on that day, thus CBBC stated around about the right time but earlier then schedule, ( they only misted the first programme) So in theory enough time to get to Sporting action. Im sure ITV was also the same.

youtu.be