BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

It feels already like this is going to be The Podcast Election, and we’re only 5 days on from it being called:

Newscast is now being aired visualised daily on the BBC NC

The Rest is Politics is going to be broadcast on Channel 4 every Wednesday - this week at 11.05pm

And it was announced at the end of this week’s Politics at Jack and Sam’s (Sky News/Politico) that it will be going daily during the campaign to keep up to date on everything
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • interestednovice

(26-05-2024, 11:15 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Although Parliament has finished its wash-up and been prorogued, they continue to officially be MPs until the dissolution takes place next Thursday.

Also key dates for the diary, the new Parliament post-election will meet for the first time on July 9th, followed by the 2024 State Opening of Parliament & King’s Speech on Wednesday 17th

Of course those dates could change if a hung Parliament occurs and negotiations turn out be longer than the 5 days it took in 2010.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice

(26-05-2024, 10:30 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I noticed on the 10 tonight that BBC News are still labelling people as 'MPs' in name straps.

There are no MPs since the dissolution of Parliament last Friday evening. They have always been aware of this before and named people accordingly.

www.parliament.uk 

Still MPs until Thursday 23.59 when Parliament dissolves and essentially ceases to exist.

Prorogation is basically ‘pausing’ a Parliament and happens before Queen/King’s Speeches, etc.

Friday is therefore when the formal election campaign really begins so wonder if we might see changes in presentation from then.
[-] The following 8 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, MLehon, Stuart, Toby brown, UTVLifer

(26-05-2024, 11:37 PM)steve Wrote:  Still MPs until Thursday 23.59 when Parliament dissolves and essentially ceases to exist.
OK, my bad. I was hoping to see the changes today on the Sunday morning political programmes.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

Well, it makes a change from it being called the First [Truly] Digital Election for about the fifth time.
[-] The following 13 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, BN88, Brekkie, fatal paper cut, interestednovice, Isonstine, Jeff, matthieu1221, scottishtv, Stooky Bill, Stuart, UTVLifer, WillPS

A podcast is just marketing rebranding a radio programme, we've had them for almost 100 years. A podcast shown on TV is a TV programme.

(26-05-2024, 11:30 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Of course those dates could change if a hung Parliament occurs and negotiations turn out be longer than the 5 days it took in 2010.

Hopefully we'll get a clear result with the exit polls at 22:00 on Thursday 4th July and can go to bed knowing which direction the country is heading in, just like in 2016. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(26-05-2024, 11:37 PM)steve Wrote:  Still MPs until Thursday 23.59 when Parliament dissolves and essentially ceases to exist.

This is the first time we’ve had an election since the repeal of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, so we’re all a bit rusty… but dissolution is via royal proclamation, which under the Crown Office Act 1877, takes effect from the time of publication in The Gazette.

Generally, The Gazette publishes royal proclamations at midday—so it’s most likely to be from midday on Thursday rather than 23.59 (though there’s no reason why it has to be).

The pres relevance is that I think I remember Sky News running over the TOTH to cover the ‘moment’ of publication at midday in elections prior to the FTPA. I think I remember them making a bit of a thing of there being no more MPs from that moment… but it’s long enough ago that I might be misremembering (or may have just been a one-off thing in a particular election).
[-] The following 7 users Like sjhoward's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, interestednovice, Stuart

(27-05-2024, 09:11 AM)sjhoward Wrote:  This is the first time we’ve had an election since the repeal of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, so we’re all a bit rusty… but dissolution is via royal proclamation, which under the Crown Office Act 1877, takes effect from the time of publication in The Gazette.

Generally, The Gazette publishes royal proclamations at midday—so it’s most likely to be from midday on Thursday rather than 23.59 (though there’s no reason why it has to be).

The pres relevance is that I think I remember Sky News running over the TOTH to cover the ‘moment’ of publication at midday in elections prior to the FTPA. I think I remember them making a bit of a thing of there being no more MPs from that moment… but it’s long enough ago that I might be misremembering (or may have just been a one-off thing in a particular election).

Sorry, yes, you’re spot on. As you say it’s not happened like this since 2010 so we’re all a bit rusty!
[-] The following 4 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Stuart

Well if Sky News put something like this out I’m definitely watching Sky News, that music is fantastic

youtu.be 

46 mins in.
[-] The following 8 users Like harshy's post:
  • 030293, ACTV, AndrewP, fanoftv, harryb, Jayesyn, JJJJ, Stuart