BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

And here is preview of the STV debate, No audience for this one. I wonder if they remember what happened last time with Tash man!

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • interestednovice

Colin Mackay has just confirmed the debate is going out on ITV Border as well.

EDIT - Peter MacMahon from ITV Border is in studio as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, interestednovice, LargelyALurker

(03-06-2024, 08:06 PM)GMc Wrote:  I don't get why ITV don't bring the debate forward to 8pm and have the smaller parties interviews on at 9 (or ten-past) - allowing the News to air at a reasonable time. At 8, it's a repeat of Beat the Chasers anyway.

Because the smaller parties bit is, when it’s all said and done, an obligation. You wouldn’t put that in the peak 9pm slot pushing the main event to 8pm
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chevron, interestednovice, Jeff, UTVLifer

And I guess it gives them a right of reply by airing after.

(03-06-2024, 09:01 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Colin Mackay has just confirmed the debate is going out on ITV Border as well.

EDIT - Peter MacMahon from ITV Border is in studio as well.

Interesting to see the ITV Border political editor on the panel, I guess it shows that the ITV/STV relationship is much better than a few years ago!

I thought the set was very basic and quite crammed, and surprising not to see any STV branding on it anywhere - the first debate of the election is a bit of a scoop. These Scotland-only debates in a UK-election are a bit odd, inevitably debating devolved issues more than what the election is actually about and with none of the folk debating standing for Westminster (I assume that’s true for Douglas Ross, though not certain).
[-] The following 4 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(03-06-2024, 10:19 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Interesting to see the ITV Border political editor on the panel, I guess it shows that the ITV/STV relationship is much better than a few years ago!

I thought the set was very basic and quite crammed, and surprising not to see any STV branding on it anywhere - the first debate of the election is a bit of a scoop. These Scotland-only debates in a UK-election are a bit odd, inevitably debating devolved issues more than what the election is actually about and with none of the folk debating standing for Westminster (I assume that’s true for Douglas Ross, though not certain).

Peter MacMahon usually makes an appearance in the studio whenever there's a Scottish Leader's debate. Not the first time he's done political analysis.
[-] The following 5 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, LargelyALurker, UTVLifer

Seems quite unfair Plaid Cymru get their airtime at 11.40pm on ITV Wales tomorrow given they are the third largest party by votes and number of MPs in Wales. Would surely make sense to opt out of the ITV programme during the SNP interview to give them fair prominence.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, LargelyALurker, matthieu1221, MLehon, UTVLifer

(03-06-2024, 10:19 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  I thought the set was very basic and quite crammed, and surprising not to see any STV branding on it anywhere - the first debate of the election is a bit of a scoop.
They've just shown the set on BBC Breakfast and it definitely does have some STV branding next to both ITV and UTV. They said the set isn't finished yet as there are some additional screens to go at the back.

There was also an interview with Ed Davey outside Dock 10, and there isn't any temporary branding on the building for the event like they did in the past.

(04-06-2024, 08:20 AM)Stuart Wrote:  They've just shown the set on BBC Breakfast and it definitely does have some STV branding next to both ITV and UTV. They said the set isn't finished yet as there are some additional screens to go at the back.

There was also an interview with Ed Davey outside Dock 10, and there isn't any temporary branding on the building for the event like they did in the past.

It might help if you were talking about the same set - the OP is referring to last night’s STV debate whilst you’re talking about tonight’s ITV debate.
[-] The following 3 users Like Critique's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Nobby

I’m a great admirer of Jo Coburn who does such a great job each day on Politics Live. It is always great viewing. I don’t understand why she isn’t given a role on Election Night. Any thoughts?
[-] The following 7 users Like Newshound's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, DeMarkay, House, interestednovice, Stuart