BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(06-06-2024, 08:25 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Interesting set design. Make it look like a church so they might feel more compelled to give truthful answers?

Isn't that just the style that On The Record had? A programme with a strong theme tune.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • interestednovice, Reith85

Oh my goodness, a young Rob Rinder at 11:36 🤣🤣
[-] The following 6 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, interestednovice, Keith, Spencer, Steve in Pudsey

Well if this is the best the BBC can do to promote such an so called important programme then why is anyone going to bother with it ? Not even the BBC election logo is on it. Really feels like either the broadcasts have all been caught with thier pants down even thought they know the election was coming or there just not caring about its presentation. Euros has a nice promo for the upcoming event but I bet that was all planned last year.

[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(06-06-2024, 08:30 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Oh my goodness, a young Rob Rinder at 11:36 🤣🤣

I wonder if even at that age if he wanted tempted to shouting 'TALKING!' to the politicians.
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, interestednovice

(06-06-2024, 08:30 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Isn't that just the style that On The Record had? A programme with a strong theme tune.

With a crocodile/Big Ben hybrid in the titles that used to scare me as a kid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • interestednovice

(06-06-2024, 08:25 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Interesting set design. Make it look like a church so they might feel more compelled to give truthful answers?
I think perhaps for that debate it looks as though they'd just extended the style of the 'On the Record' set, which at one time was based on a gothic theme to match the design of the arched windows of the Houses of Parliament and their title sequence.

I can't find a pic of that particular set as they later swapped to focusing on the Clock Tower instead as in this video.

www.youtube.com 

(06-06-2024, 09:06 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Well if this is the best the BBC can do to promote such an so called important programme then why is anyone going to bother with it ? Not even the BBC election logo is on it. Really feels like either the broadcasts have all been caught with thier pants down even thought they know the election was coming or there just not caring about its presentation. Euros has a nice promo for the upcoming event but I bet that was all planned last year.
Thing is that there's a lot more that can be made of the Euros, there's a lot more excitement in football and they can make a nice promo for it. Plus as you say they know it's coming.

The election caught everyone by surprise of course but the broadcasters had stuff ready.

This programme however is something they've just decided is going to be a thing on the last week, so it is a bit last minute. To be honest is it really worth making a fancy promo for? It's not as if they can just get a copy of it and clip up 28 seconds of exciting bits (if indeed there are any).

Yes, feels a bit of a missed opportunity to not have some election branding on the channels. But really it's a dry serious promo for a dry serious programme. It does the job
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

The set of On The Record was based on the Houses of Parliament, hence the title sequence where it was portrayed as a crocodile.

That's part of the reason it was replaced in the 2000's, with devolution politics became less Westminster centric

(07-06-2024, 06:30 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Thing is that there's a lot more that can be made of the Euros, there's a lot more excitement in football and they can make a nice promo for it. Plus as you say they know it's coming.

The election caught everyone by surprise of course but the broadcasters had stuff ready.

This programme however is something they've just decided is going to be a thing on the last week, so it is a bit last minute. To be honest is it really worth making a fancy promo for? It's not as if they can just get a copy of it and clip up 28 seconds of exciting bits (if indeed there are any).

Yes, feels a bit of a missed opportunity to not have some election branding on the channels. But really it's a dry serious promo for a dry serious programme. It does the job
Let's face it - none of the broadcasters want the 7 way debates. They're just there to keep the smaller parties relatively happy and enable them to do the head to head ones which is where the interest mainly lies.

ITV Wales have announced their plans now - a three way debate between Labour, Conservatives and Plaid Cymru on Sunday 16th June across two hours (against the England match) then an interview programme the following night with the leaders of the other parties.

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

Also see Tonight had different versions of their interview programmes go out in Wales and Scotland last night. England showed an interview with the leader of the Lib Dems, Wales had Plaid Cymru and Scotland Lib Dems and Greens. Not sure what happened in NI which of course has its own political scene largely overlooked in the context of election coverage by the UK networks.

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, MLehon