BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

I thought the debate was first class. Excellent moderation from Mishal Hussein and the radio theatre looked excellent.

The set in particular looked very good. Nowadays, the default is screens everywhere and this shows you can create a modern look without LEDs on every wall.
[-] The following 9 users Like chris's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Reith85, Spencer, thePineapple, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(08-06-2024, 01:10 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Different titles entirely as well- possibly also the only time the morning coverage has been introduced with different titles to the evening?

They weren't completely different. It's just the ending part of the Election Night titles against a white background. I suppose if you're using titles featuring a nighttime London skyline then you're going to have to have different titles for the morning coverage.

(08-06-2024, 12:38 PM)BN88 Wrote:  But oddly they went for Election 2005 titles on the Friday morning!

www.youtube.com 

As we're talking about Election 2005, I do like how the area behind the desk is based on TV Centre's South Hall, looking out onto the donut:
bbcphotosales.co.uk 
Web Image

and then if you skip ahead to 1:16:24 on the same video, they have another similar alcove looking out towards Wood Lane and Centre House, which is a vaguely geographically accurate view.

(we really should have an Election Nostalgia thread for all this!)
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

In many ways, that BBC 2005 election set is the pinnacle of election night sets - great concept and execution, strong integration of other branding elements (and the TVC motif) into the set design, a large set that gives a feeling of grandness rather than looking empty. Really very few that come anywhere close in my view.

The 2010-2017 set was broadly going for the same thing, but just fell short - the 2005 set actually looks like an 'elections centre', the latter one just looks like some desks plonked around a central circle - and the overreliance of low-fidelity LED panels for the backdrop never looked great.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, chris, chrisherald, Transmission, UTVLifer

And now they're in Broadcasting House, we're not likely to get anything different from the regular news studios again, apart from maybe a different backdrop on the screens.

(08-06-2024, 02:38 PM)James2001 Wrote:  And now they're in Broadcasting House, we're not likely to get anything different from the regular news studios again, apart from maybe a different backdrop on the screens.

Wonder if we will even have the outdoor hex map, considering they'd need to have had a new one made for the boundary changes.

Still feels strange they went to all the effort of turning Elstree D into an election hub, and then only used it for a grand total of 2 general elections (and the 2014 Euros).
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisherald

(08-06-2024, 02:41 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Wonder if we will even have the outdoor hex map, considering they'd need to have had a new one made for the boundary changes.

Well, no. The benefit of a hex map is the constituencies are all the same shape. There’s the same number, so nothing new would be needed.
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

I think the 1997 and 2005 versions of Rick Wakeman's, Arthur are the best versions. To me, they sound more classical and yet riveting in the instruments. I always hoped that they would bring this version back whenever the election. If I was running a TV channel hosting elections, I would certainly use it.
[-] The following 3 users Like KrazyKei's post:
  • ACTV, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(08-06-2024, 06:00 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I think the 1997 and 2005 versions of Rick Wakeman's, Arthur are the best versions. To me, they sound more classical and yet riveting in the instruments. I always hoped that they would bring this version back whenever the election. If I was running a TV channel hosting elections, I would certainly use it.
2005's arrangement is good, but 1997's is far too audibly sampled orchestra, the timpani and brass particularly, and so always sounds a bit flat and empty to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chrisherald