BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

So Julie moves to ths daytime coverage which makes sense. Guess either Anushka or Paul will take on the role of presenting the graphics over night - does Anushka still do "screeny" on Peston?

(09-06-2024, 07:54 PM)DTV Wrote:  The problem with the hex map is that it is one of those election night gimmicks that gets heavily featured in the first two hours when no results are in and is then barely seen for the bulk of the programme. I don't recall it adding much across the elections it appeared and the press release indicated Sophie Raworth, who has previously presided over it, is being used elsewhere this time. Also, given some of the predictions released, wonder if they ordered enough red hexagons back in 2015?

It's a lot of work for about 2 minutes of content. There was no mention of it in the press release. So I suspect it has been dropped
[-] The following 1 user Likes cando's post:
  • DTV

(10-06-2024, 11:24 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  So Julie moves to ths daytime coverage which makes sense. Guess either Anushka or Paul will take on the role of presenting the graphics over night - does Anushka still do "screeny" on Peston?
Yes, Anushka still operates 'screeny' on Peston, but also stands in as main presenter if he is away.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • UTVLifer

Looking at that list, GMB is really going all out with its pundits for the election show and it's of course quite obvious which way everyone is expecting it to go, given they've got Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman

Are STV doing their own morning-after coverage? As otherwise it's an odd relic from the past that GMB's election show is only going up to 9:25

(10-06-2024, 11:24 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  So Julie moves to ths daytime coverage which makes sense. Guess either Anushka or Paul will take on the role of presenting the graphics over night - does Anushka still do "screeny" on Peston?

Prof Jane Green did the graphics battleboard herself overnight in 2019, with Anushka in the newsroom with Screeny. Julie only did 2015 overnight with Tom Bradby, doing the daytime coverage in 2017 and 2019
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • Brekkie, octothorpe

Nine Hossain's previous role appears to have disappeared?

Going by a post on the STV website, it looks like STV will NOT have its own election night programme. It must be what 20 years since there NOT done an overnight programme for a National election. So looks like all of ITV will be getting Tom, Ed, George and co.

news.stv.tv 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • chrisherald

I assume Wales has never had it's own coverage in the ITV Wales era but did HTV ever do anything? Similarly in the days before Grampian and Scottish TV merged did they do anything jointly or separately?

(10-06-2024, 02:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I assume Wales has never had it's own coverage in the ITV Wales era but did HTV ever do anything? Similarly in the days before Grampian and Scottish TV merged did they do anything jointly or separately?

Its only been since devolution that STV has provided a full overnight programmes, I'm sure in 1997 and 2001 they just opted out for longer from the main ITV programme every so often, And they would quietly re-join the network midway though something.

Of course STV just lost its long server election night presenter, Its unclear who's going to do the 2026 Scottish parliament overnight coverage.
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald

Sky have released a few more details on their programme on Wednesday. Sunak and Starmer will appear separately, each having a 20 minute interview with Beth Rigby and 25 minutes of audience questions with Sarah-Jane Mee. Sky understandably couldn't resist saying "45 minutes, not 45 seconds" after the response to the ITV debate.

news.sky.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart, UTVLifer

I'm assuming the reason for why STV aren't going in-house is because they buy in everything from ITV these days, it'd make better use of their resources to use STV reporters on the networked ITV News Election programme rather than have a full team at Pacific Quay to produce an overnight show.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • chrisherald, lookoutwales