BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(28-06-2024, 06:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is Jeremy in the news studio in Cardiff (so a mix of real screens and AR presumably) or in a virtual studio there? Presumably both BBC Wales and S4C will be coming from Central Square - think we've had one election night from there for the last Senedd elections. Suspect the BBC Scotland and BBC Wales coverage will look far grander than Studio B with a few purple logos.

Do we know where C4 are broadcasting their coverage from?

I'd assume BBC Wales in the downstairs studio, S4C somewhere in the atrium, and Jeremy from the CSO secondary news studio.
[-] The following 2 users Like what's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

Here's the 2021 Senedd election programmes, neither used the main news studio as their main studio. I think the analysis was in the news studio using the screens and AR (haven't scrolled through them in full).

There is green screen studio space at Central Square, as seen on Match of the Day Wales and Scrum V, and less impressively when Newyddion and Wales Today clash.

youtu.be 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • chrisherald

(28-06-2024, 06:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is Jeremy in the news studio in Cardiff (so a mix of real screens and AR presumably) or in a virtual studio there? Presumably both BBC Wales and S4C will be coming from Central Square - think we've had one election night from there for the last Senedd elections. Suspect the BBC Scotland and BBC Wales coverage will look far grander than Studio B with a few purple logos.

Unlikely that Jeremy Vine will be in the same studio as their own programmes. They'll need three spaces - my guess is S4C in the news studio, BBC1 in the aitrim and Jeremy in some sort of virtual studio. I don't know what they have in terms of studios there

I've seen an image of BBC Scotland using their aitrum studio space for the election. I would have thought that they'll use their news studio for contributions to London

Quote:
Do we know where C4 are broadcasting their coverage from?
It'll either be Riverside or Pinewood, there's not many other places it could be

Strangely in the credits for the Panorama Interviews, it always says

Make Up
The Make Up Team

Which is a bit non specific
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Ash101, chrisherald, peterrocket

(28-06-2024, 08:05 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Strangely in the credits for the Panorama Interviews, it always says

Make Up
The Make Up Team

Which is a bit non specific

Probably a company being referenced rather than an in-house team.

(28-06-2024, 06:12 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Just to give some perspective - when ITN were based in Wells Street (1969 to 1991) - they only had one main studio, which was 2,000 Sq Ft in space with a smaller 700 Sq Ft studio - so they literally had to cram as much into such a small space - wide angle lenses and a carefully constructed set ensured ITN's election nights from Wells Street were decent, but could never match the near 11,000 Sq Ft size of Studio TC1 at BBC Television Centre, or even the other four medium sized studios which were 8,000 Sq Ft each in floor space.

In 1991 when ITN moved into Grays Inn, they then had two slightly larger main studios in the basement, both are the same size, around 2,500 Sq Ft floor space each, so only slightly bigger than their main Wells Street studio - this is the reason why for 1997 and 2001 they used the vast atrium of Grays Inn for their election studio, and even in 2005, with VR backdrop to the set was the atrium.

Makes me wonder what they did when they were building the election set in studio 1, presumably they'd have had to do everything in studio 2, which by the sounds of it wouldn't have really been bigger for much more than a desk and a simple backdrop.

According to the TV Studios history site, they used to hire out studio 2 for other things before Channel 4 news started and they needed the space all the time. I know a few years ago, an ITN VT clock appeared before the Lonely This Christmas video on one of the MTV channels, so that must have been made there.

Does anyone know who’s behind the BBC Election graphics and branding? Because the more I see it, the more I really like it. It’s a nice, cleaner, more modern evolution of the previous Elexagon hexagon style graphics.

As someone who’s been very critical of BBC News’ awful recent branding attempts, it’s refreshing to see something from them that seems coherent, consistent, well thought through, stylish, current, and (shock horror!) professional.

I particularly liked the backdrop they used for this week’s leaders debate in Nottingham. I loved how the purple set elements made of triangles behind Sunak and Starmer were shaped like maps of Great Britain, which seemed like a nice touch.

I’d go so far as to say, if this provides some inspiration for a full-scale revamp of BBC News, I’d be quite pleased. In with the triangles, out with the circles, please!

(28-06-2024, 08:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Probably a company being referenced rather than an in-house team.

Yes it's a company called The Make Up Team

www.themakeupteam.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald

On a nostalgia note, here's an extract of an edition of Biteback from 1992 which went behind the scenes of the BBC's Election Night coverage that year:

www.youtube.com 

You can see the workings of Peter Snow's new swingometer, the Birmingham OB unit trying to get the attention of London and deal with an impatient Roy Hattersley, and the results team fielding counts by telephone.
[-] The following 2 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • chrisherald, Stooky Bill

(28-06-2024, 09:27 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  and deal with an impatient Roy Hattersley,

Should just have replaced him with a tub of lard like another show did.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • lookoutwales