BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

The Election Night Armistice was fantastic. I don't know which modern-day comedy shows would work as an election night special, though. The Last Leg probably would, but I'm not sure what else.
[-] The following 3 users Like mark's post:
  • chrisherald, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, lookoutwales

(01-07-2024, 08:54 PM)mark Wrote:  The Election Night Armistice was fantastic. I don't know which modern-day comedy shows would work as an election night special, though. The Last Leg probably would, but I'm not sure what else.

The Last Leg is in fact a modern version of the Friday Night Armistice - three male hosts reviewing the week's news - the format feels similar. Problem is The Last Leg has lost a lot of it's bite, and like BBC Have I Got News For You, it has become stale and safe for Channel 4
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald

(01-07-2024, 08:54 PM)mark Wrote:  The Election Night Armistice was fantastic. I don't know which modern-day comedy shows would work as an election night special, though. The Last Leg probably would, but I'm not sure what else.

'The Last Leg' or 'Late Night Lycett' would've been perfect. A few hours of The Last Leg seems the obvious choice, and probably has been since 2015, but instead they're doing that 24hrs later for some reason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • octothorpe

(01-07-2024, 08:28 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  ‘Election Night Armistice’ was a much better alternative. 10:30 - 01:30 just 3 hours of comedy when nothing much is happening yet. That's all you really need and if ch4 were going to go one way or the other i'd have preferred they'd gone that way Instead of offering more of the same. Especially as there's, seemingly, more outlets than ever doing overnight results coverage.
Agreed. For all the options - on TV, radio and online - there's little real choice beyond which set of pundits you are willing to put up with. There's definitely room for a genuine alternative at either end of the spectrum - something like the Amistice, which is only really tangentially related to the election, or maybe an 'experts' election night', where there's a focus on genuine analysis (I guess ITV is probably closest right now).
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, octothorpe

I still think the peak of Election night was ITV in 1987 with the 40min Spitting image special. Of course then went out right after the exit poll and ITV come back 15mins before a result.

(01-07-2024, 09:27 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  'The Last Leg' or 'Late Night Lycett' would've been perfect. A few hours of The Last Leg seems the obvious choice, and probably has been since 2015, but instead they're doing that 24hrs later for some reason.

Yes, The Last Leg the only real possibility but holding off 24 hours means they'll have plenty of footage to mock. I think they might actually struggle more 24 hours earlier for content. Topical satirical comedy on TV in recent years has been thin on the ground - only other thing I can think of is The Mash Report (or whatever it was called in the end) which could probably do an hour after the exit poll but think they'd struggle much beyond that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • octothorpe

Here's a YouTube version of the Sky News video that was shared earlier, for anyone who, like me, was having trouble with the Instagram one.

youtu.be 

And I don't want to get too excited, but ITV's desk - which was partly visible on News at Ten - is different from the 2019 one. It looks a bit bigger, not completely square and with a teal section on the right hand side rather than white.
[-] The following 2 users Like mark's post:
  • chrisherald, Richard H

I noticed the shape of the new desk it seems angled either side with it joining in the middle to show the logo. It must be why the opening and closing shots of the news are static, so they don’t show us the desk.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LiamFitz's post:
  • chrisherald

(01-07-2024, 02:55 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes, I remember there was a half hour special at 9 the year I was involved in regional coverage . Especially the treat of a post show full English at a local cafe before going home to bed Big Grin

I've worked several since at various places, love working election night.

Just had a look on the BBC schedules and 2010, 2015 & 2017 all had half hour regional bulletins just after 9am

In 2019 it looks like the lunchtime bulletin was extended by half an hour instead

Looks like this year the lunchtime bulletin will be 20 minutes

It’s gradually getting less and less
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • lookoutwales, Ma76, thePineapple

ITV has at least scheduled a full 30 minute local bulletin for 3.30pm on Friday before the football, though given their build up to matches gets earlier and earlier (it was 3.45pm today for a 5pm kick-off) I wouldn't be too surprised if that gets pushed even earlier. Assuming no extra time/penalties the Evening News is scheduled to run for an hour from 7.30-8.30pm. BBC1 hasn't updated their schedules yet but have the evening match so the Six will air on time - wouldn't be surprised if they extend it to an hour and push the local news to 7pm ahead of the football at 7.30pm.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76