BBC/ITV South West/Channel Islands News

(14-01-2023, 04:51 PM)DTV Wrote:  [Image: BBCStudioSizesv1.png]

Norwich is the smallest set currently by the looks of things then? Wouldn't be too surprised if they're high on the list for set revamps.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406

Norwich also has the disadvantage of being the strangest shape (excluding the corner of the office that is Salford), which is probably why it's received seldom updates over the years.

I'd be intrigued to know where the doorways to the Norwich studio actually are, and if they're normal width or double width, and where in relation to the bit we see on screen they are, as that may go some way to explaining why it's had 2 revamps since they moved in.

Given the leases signed around that time were all 25 years, will we see more moves across the regions, particularly the parts of the estate were all sorted out from 2000-2005, or will it be easier to keep most locations as they are, or even downsize in existing estates?

I know the Mailbox was originally planned and built for 1000 people, and now it's the most under used BBC building, and most expensive per person... but they did build there as they could demise it away as needed, or expand if the time was right. Surely that was a consideration with the other locations (Hull, Norwich, Leeds etc).

(15-01-2023, 05:50 PM)Mike Wrote:  Norwich also has the disadvantage of being the strangest shape (excluding the corner of the office that is Salford), which is probably why it's received seldom updates over the years.

I'd be intrigued to know where the doorways to the Norwich studio actually are, and if they're normal width or double width, and where in relation to the bit we see on screen they are, as that may go some way to explaining why it's had 2 revamps since they moved in.
From memory when the current set launched they showed timelapse footage of the set change, with the current set being rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise to the old one.

I seem to recall with the old set the studio door was at the (then) back, immediately to the right of the set. Therefore I think it's currently to the right of the existing set, roughly in line with cameras.

When Norwich does finally get an upgrade hopefully they'll get some of the kit from the now closed Cambridge studio, which I think was HD capable.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(15-01-2023, 05:50 PM)Mike Wrote:  I'd be intrigued to know where the doorways to the Norwich studio actually are, and if they're normal width or double width, and where in relation to the bit we see on screen they are, as that may go some way to explaining why it's had 2 revamps since they moved in.
About 6/7 years ago i took part in some training for teachers organised by BBC introduce about film editing. At the end of the day we got to have a look around the studio. From memory you enter the studio from the bottom right when looking at DTV’s outline. 

What I couldn’t get over was just how small it was. There was a camera literally in the door way. From what I can remember, the set took up the trapezium shaped area, leaving the narrow rectangular area for the cameras. Will say memory isn’t crystal clear.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(15-01-2023, 06:24 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  About 6/7 years ago i took part in some training for teachers organised by BBC introduce about film editing. At the end of the day we got to have a look around the studio. From memory you enter the studio from the bottom right when looking at DTV’s outline. 

What I couldn’t get over was just how small it was. There was a camera literally in the door way. From what I can remember, the set took up the trapezium shaped area, leaving the narrow rectangular area for the cameras. Will say memory isn’t crystal clear.

Yes, according to the plans that I have (which are very dreadful quality), there are two sets of doors - one, as you say, on the bottom right of the trapenzium and one on the middle of the left of the trapezium. Presumably, the other set of doors is out of action (not uncommon in smaller studios) as that would be behind one of the projection screens.

It'd be great if anybody had any leads on any of the missing studios - unfortunately the planning websites come up blank for them. I know that Mike worked out roughly the external dimensions of Nottingham in an earlier discussion, but it's hard to know how thick the studio walls are (can vary quite a bit) or the exact internal layout. It's clearly a reasonable size, but I get the impression it's a bit long proportionately like Hull's. Leeds is trickier - it's clearly not as cramped as Hull or Norwich, but there doesn't seem to be room for a full second presentation area like Southampton or Bristol.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

Has Southampton moved since 1987? There's an article discussing the limitations of it's unique "five sided studio"

www.bbceng.info 

(15-01-2023, 07:14 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Has Southampton moved since 1987? There's an article discussing the limitations of it's unique "five sided studio"
I have a feeling that Southampton moved to Havelock Road in the early-90s, which would add up as I don't think anybody would view the current Southampton studio as limited - it's a good size for a regional studio, with a full-height grid and, though a bit square, is not difficultly shaped. It does, though, have a weird scenery lobby area which sticks out the rear wall, but I don't think that would make it five-sided. Which means that Southampton must have got a real upgrade when they moved - the opposite of most other regions who have largely got downgraded over the years.

Good find, though, with interesting details about the Newcastle centre - of course, Look North were originally allocated Studio B, which would be the smallest regional studio today.

(15-01-2023, 07:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(15-01-2023, 06:24 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  About 6/7 years ago i took part in some training for teachers organised by BBC introduce about film editing. At the end of the day we got to have a look around the studio. From memory you enter the studio from the bottom right when looking at DTV’s outline. 

Yes, according to the plans that I have (which are very dreadful quality), there are two sets of doors - one, as you say, on the bottom right of the trapenzium and one on the middle of the left of the trapezium. Presumably, the other set of doors is out of action (not uncommon in smaller studios) as that would be behind one of the projection screens.
Presumably whenever it gets a new set it will (hopefully) use an LED screen or similar, instead of a projection. No idea how much space is currently taken up by the projection screen but might allow to any new set to be slightly larger. It can't be much worse than the current set.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(15-01-2023, 07:30 PM)Keith Wrote:  Presumably whenever it gets a new set it will (hopefully) use an LED screen or similar, instead of a projection. No idea how much space is currently taken up by the projection screen but might allow to any new set to be slightly larger. It can't be much worse than the current set.
I believe that all the new regional sets will use LED videowalls - which, given they take up very little space, will hopefully mean that the smaller regions are able to better utilise their studio spaces. As you say, hopefully this is the end of rear projection, which just wastes so much studio space.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(15-01-2023, 07:57 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(15-01-2023, 07:30 PM)Keith Wrote:  Presumably whenever it gets a new set it will (hopefully) use an LED screen or similar, instead of a projection. No idea how much space is currently taken up by the projection screen but might allow to any new set to be slightly larger. It can't be much worse than the current set.
I believe that all the new regional sets will use LED videowalls - which, given they take up very little space, will hopefully mean that the smaller regions are able to better utilise their studio spaces. As you say, hopefully this is the end of rear projection, which just wastes so much studio space.

I think TW already have them fitted after their recent revamp?