BBC/ITV South West/Channel Islands News

No weather presenter on BBC Spotlight today

Look North (Leeds) is seemingly due to debut its new LED set this evening.

Meanwhile, it's been 13 weeks since BBC Channel Islands decamped. I wonder during which particular decade they'll ever move back into the main studio.

If their new set isn't as elaborate as a James Bond villain's lair, then I'd like to know what they've been doing this whole time.
[-] The following 9 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Jayesyn, London Lite, oscillon, Quantum+83, Stuart, Superman1986, UTVLifer

So, it's the start of another week...

Please place your bets on which of the following is most likely to happen today:

1. BBC Channel Islands will be back in its main studio to debut its new set tonight.

2. A UFO with Elvis Presley on board will land on the Loch Ness Monster's head.

3. There will be a blizzard in Tanzania.

4. Lord Lucan will ride Shergar into the lost city of Atlantis.
[-] The following 9 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • AaronLancs, bkman1990, London Lite, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Stuart, Superman1986, thePineapple, TVFan

(15-05-2023, 07:20 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  So, it's the start of another week...

1. BBC Channel Islands will be back in its main studio to debut its new set tonight.
I've set the tellybox to catch BBC CI News tonight, but I'm beginning to think that their move is now permanent. I suspect their former 'cupboard under the stairs' has been converted into a staff break-out area with soft furnishings and vending machines. Tongue
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Superman1986, UTVLifer

There was quite a random junction into Politics South West this morning which oddly involved an announcement from BBC One Yorkshire HD telling us to switch channels.

If that was the 'nightligtht' version, they wouldn't be announcing themselves as HD, or even Yorkshire, so I'm rather confused.
youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Spencer, thePineapple

(21-05-2023, 04:33 PM)Stuart Wrote:  There was quite a random junction into Politics South West this morning which oddly involved an announcement from BBC One Yorkshire HD telling us to switch channels.

If that was the 'nightligtht' version, they wouldn't be announcing themselves as HD, or even Yorkshire, so I'm rather confused.
youtu.be 

It seems to be an old announcement, from the days of one of the regional editions being chosen to be shown on the HD channel, prior to the regionalisation of HD being complete.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

With all the predictability of Greece and Cyprus voting for each other at Eurovision, there's still no end this evening to BBC Channel Islands' decamp.

Due to the sheer length of time that their decamp is lasting, I am increasingly inclined to suspect that something more substantial than we first thought might be happening.

I initially thought that St Helier would simply be getting a fairly basic new set in their existing pokey little studio (in which there simply isn't enough space for an LED set, in terms of both fire lane space behind the set walls and distance from the cameras to avoid issues such as the moire effect etc), which might nevertheless emulate the general style of the sets being rolled-out elsewhere albeit without LED screens.

I have previously speculated the possibility of structural changes to create a larger studio (if they can afford to lose e.g. newsroom/office space, or whatever, for this), which might even then be big enough to house an LED set after all.

If nothing is happening that will result in such substantial changes as those suggested above, or anything else that will be just as overtly apparent on-screen whenever the programme's new look is finally ready, then I'd very much like to know what is taking all this time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • Stuart

(22-05-2023, 06:15 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  With all the predictability of Greece and Cyprus voting for each other at Eurovision, there's still no end this evening to BBC Channel Islands' decamp.

Due to the sheer length of time that their decamp is lasting, I am increasingly inclined to suspect that something more substantial than we first thought might be happening.

I initially thought that St Helier would simply be getting a fairly basic new set in their existing pokey little studio (in which there simply isn't enough space for an LED set, in terms of both fire lane space behind the set walls and distance from the cameras to avoid issues such as the moire effect etc), which might nevertheless emulate the general style of the sets being rolled-out elsewhere albeit without LED screens.

I have previously speculated the possibility of structural changes to create a larger studio (if they can afford to lose e.g. newsroom/office space, or whatever, for this), which might even then be big enough to house an LED set after all.

If nothing is happening that will result in such substantial changes as those suggested above, or anything else that will be just as overtly apparent on-screen whenever the programme's new look is finally ready, then I'd very much like to know what is taking all this time.
It's hand-me-down kit on Jersey isn't it?

If the gallery kit from Oxford was newer , I'd speculate that CI are having a production upgrade as well as set, perhaps with added Casper CG and video servers
[-] The following 4 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(21-05-2023, 04:33 PM)Stuart Wrote:  There was quite a random junction into Politics South West this morning which oddly involved an announcement from BBC One Yorkshire HD telling us to switch channels.

youtu.be 

Also happened in the South East according to TV Home's recording. Intriguing.

Also happened on BBC1 Midlands HD too.