Newsroom Movers and Shakers

Former RTÉ Midlands Correspondent Ciaran Mullooly is going to run for a seat in the European Elections.

He will run as a candidate for a new political party in the Ireland North West constituency this June.

www.independent.ie 
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Michael 18

Ben Chu is moving over from Newsnight to BBC Verify in the coming weeks

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • Reith85

Ed Thomas appointed BBC U.K. Editor based in Salford

x.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, Reith85, UTVLifer

Congratulations to both!

I can see where Ben Chu’s role is likely to fit (producing analysis-driven explainers as he has often done for Newsnight in the past) but how does the UK editor post overlap/differ from the Home Editor?

Seems like two different takes on the same kind of stories, unless Ed’s role is supposed to be more on the investigative side (and, if it is, I think somethings like Investigations Editor would fit better as a title).

(16-05-2024, 05:57 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Congratulations to both!

I can see where Ben Chu’s role is likely to fit (producing analysis-driven explainers as he has often done for Newsnight in the past) but how does the UK editor post overlap/differ from the Home Editor?

Seems like two different takes on the same kind of stories, unless Ed’s role is supposed to be more on the investigative side (and, if it is, I think somethings like Investigations Editor would fit better as a title).

There was suggestions that Mark Easton (current Home Affairs Editor) will be come the new Royal Editor, so maybe the plan is for that role to become defunct in the not far future?
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice

It’s already been decided the Home Editor role is to be retired, effectively the UK Editor replaces it but based in Salford.
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(16-05-2024, 07:04 PM)steve Wrote:  It’s already been decided the Home Editor role is to be retired, effectively the UK Editor replaces it but based in Salford.

I always thought it was an odd title, Home Editor. It sounds like something Linda Barker might have on her business cards.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, PJamo, steve

Indeed, not entirely sure why we ended up with Home Affairs Correspondents and a Home Editor but that's the BBC for you...

I think they are to have slightly different remits - Mark Easton as Home Editor was much more policy focused, so whether that be immigration, crime, etc.

I think the new role is some of that but also if there's a major UK event, they'll be there to lead the coverage which is something the BBC haven't really had for a while. Gavin Hewitt did that sort of role for a while, but I suspect if it's big and it happens in the UK, Ed Thomas will end up there in the same way as Jeremy Bowen would for international.

(Yesterday, 05:25 PM)steve Wrote:  Indeed, not entirely sure why we ended up with Home Affairs Correspondents and a Home Editor but that's the BBC for you...

I think they are to have slightly different remits - Mark Easton as Home Editor was much more policy focused, so whether that be immigration, crime, etc.

I think the new role is some of that but also if there's a major UK event, they'll be there to lead the coverage which is something the BBC haven't really had for a while. Gavin Hewitt did that sort of role for a while, but I suspect if it's big and it happens in the UK, Ed Thomas will end up there in the same way as Jeremy Bowen would for international.

I'm sure it used to be Home Affairs Editor. I'm not sure why they changed it – probably as a result of restructuring at some point.

(11 hours ago)Spencer Wrote:  I'm sure it used to be Home Affairs Editor. I'm not sure why they changed it – probably as a result of restructuring at some point.

It did indeed used to be Home Affairs Editor, the sibling to World Affairs Editor (and variants thereof as Correspondents).

I suspect ‘Home’ has just been a quick shorthand that stuck, plus no one really loves the idea of Affairs being in their title.