Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

Still using caps during Reporting Scotland weather.

[Image: 02_23%20-%2006_00_00%20-%20Breakfast_%20...54_189.jpg]

Wrong ticker on bbc world news I think as it seems to be telling world viewers you can watch it live on iPlayer.

Just noticed that there was no headlines at 4:30 pm UKT on the News Channel, a documentary immediately followed the half-hour stinger...

Interesting observations this hour 5pm GMT,

Breaking news on Sunak meeting the European Commission President tomorrow.

Jessica Parker in the Brussels Bureau with no background (black).

Ben Brown live in Downing Street from what appears to be an iPhone?
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(26-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Ben Brown live in Downing Street from what appears to be an iPhone?
Ah, so that is why they ditched 4:30 pm headlines that he was supposed to present (as he did the 4pm bulletin) - he had to get to Westminster. Indeed, it looked like a good smartphone camera.
I wonder why they had to get Ben to Westminster in the first place - they are short of political correspondents to be there? Or there is a new arrangement at the network bulletins and he is about to anchor teatime Sunday news from there?
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice

(26-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Interesting observations this hour 5pm GMT,

I was about to say the same thing!

Ben appears to be alone in Downing Street, with his own self-setup and possibly some kind of tripod for his phone. This is presumably the level of technical quality we will soon have to get used to - whereas in the past we would have had a proper camera operator, sound engineer and probably producer at the scene.

It “gets the job done” but really doesn’t look as good on screen; while this setup would work for radio without the viewer even noticing, it is not adequate for TV in my view.

A reminder that cuts behind the scenes can be just as impactful as those in front of the camera.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Scratch_Perry

(26-02-2023, 06:26 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Interesting observations this hour 5pm GMT,

I was about to say the same thing!

Ben appears to be alone in Downing Street, with his own self-setup and possibly some kind of tripod for his phone. This is presumably the level of technical quality we will soon have to get used to - whereas in the past we would have had a proper camera operator, sound engineer and probably producer at the scene.

It “gets the job done” but really doesn’t look as good on screen; while this setup would work for radio without the viewer even noticing, it is not adequate for TV in my view.

A reminder that cuts behind the scenes can be just as impactful as those in front of the camera.

Would be a little sad if that is the case. I mean it is Downing Street after all! There'll be lots of stand-ups at Downing Street in the future too, that's not going away, so if anything might be one of the few places to have a proper set up. Then again maybe the converse argument would be that it is an easy location for someone to broadcast and report alone from.
[-] The following 3 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Newsroom

(26-02-2023, 06:18 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Ben Brown live in Downing Street from what appears to be an iPhone?
There is a plug-in point in Downing Street. Even if it was on an iPhone it would be of good quality.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:

(26-02-2023, 06:43 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
There is a plug-in point in Downing Street. Even if it was on an iPhone it would be of good quality.
Quality was superior indeed, perhaps a little too good hence me noticing it was iPhone. He certainly wasn't framed by a crew.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:

I mean alternatively, it’s simply a pragmatic solution when on a late Sunday afternoon there wasn’t a crew available at short notice so this got them on air from Downing Street asap… most political two ways at the weekend tend to come from the studio so presumably it’s not crewed ‘just in case’ and though this news was likely, no one was quite sure when.
[-] The following 4 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, DTV, interestednovice, Stockland Hillman
Thread Closed