Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(24-10-2022, 07:48 PM)steve Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 06:19 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I'd be very disappointed if she did leave, as she's by far the best presenter on the News Channel and has real potential to cover the Six and Ten one day. But she's been pushing it ever since the merger was announced.

I think Martine is great, a really warm, engaging and natural presenter. 

BUT - she has been pushing it, the pointed, knowing mentions of the News Channel; her comments on social media; and, what is quite an odd clip from last night (I agree it has been largely taken way out of context, but there is something odd about it and her reaction). 

Whatever your views on what’s planned, a job where hiding your views is v important but where you’ve not been hiding your views is not ideal.

Sometimes when things like this happen you need management to want to fight for you and I do fear pushing it so far may mean they won’t want to push their support too far either.
‘Taken entirely out of context is exactly what’s happened here. She’s been a stalwart of the BBC’s rolling news channels for as long as I can recall and never put a foot wrong and I don’t believe she has here, or certainly not with her opening dialogue. 

The Krishnan Guru Murthy épisode over on. Channel 4 warrants far worse punishment than being taken off air for a week and then taking what’s left of his annual leave. Using that C word (which many and especially women find extremely offensive) would almost certainly get you dismissed anywhere else. 

Sorry for banging on about this, I just find that the whole thing with Martine stinks of something else as already mentioned and I, like many on here would hate to see her go.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, Jayesyn, Ma76

They are just discussing this on TalkTV with Dorries... they have said that she 'admitted to being gleeful over BJ pulling out the leadership race'. From looking at the story today, Martine said nothing, out of context BBC bashing in my opinion.
[-] The following 3 users Like J102B's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, Ma76

(24-10-2022, 08:32 PM)J102B Wrote:  They are just discussing this on TalkTV with Dorries... they have said that she 'admitted to being gleeful over BJ pulling out the leadership race'. From looking at the story today, Martine said nothing, out of context BBC bashing in my opinion.

Of course it's BBC bashing, and Dorries is one of the most prominent and vocal ones.

But it's in the BBC management's interest to blow this up as well. The number of NC presenters needs to be slimmed down ready for the merger. I suspect the high-profile UK daytime World News presenters are safe (Lucy Hockings, Yalda Hakim, Matthew A, Ros Atkins, Christian Fraser) and some higher profile NC ones, such as Jane Hill, Joanna Gosling, Ben Brown (if they want to stay on that is).

Finding an excuse like this to let go of Martine over a storm in a teacup being whipped up by the BBC's biggest political detractors is too convenient for BBC management.
[-] The following 3 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, GMc, Ma76

(24-10-2022, 08:47 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 08:32 PM)J102B Wrote:  They are just discussing this on TalkTV with Dorries... they have said that she 'admitted to being gleeful over BJ pulling out the leadership race'. From looking at the story today, Martine said nothing, out of context BBC bashing in my opinion.

Of course it's BBC bashing, and Dorries is one of the most prominent and vocal ones.

But it's in the BBC management's interest to blow this up as well. The number of NC presenters needs to be slimmed down ready for the merger. I suspect the high-profile UK daytime World News presenters are safe (Lucy Hockings, Yalda Hakim, Matthew A, Ros Atkins, Christian Fraser) and some higher profile NC ones, such as Jane Hill, Joanna Gosling, Ben Brown (if they want to stay on that is).

Finding an excuse like this to let go of Martine over a storm in a teacup being whipped up by the BBC's biggest political detractors is too convenient for BBC management.

Well then if Martine is cleared it should be the BBC Management that took her off air that should be let go-with their P45's.
[-] The following 4 users Like News76's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, CF1, Ma76

Meanwhile Ben Brown is stuck in the infamous NBH lift for more than 2 hours....

twitter.com 

(24-10-2022, 09:06 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Meanwhile Ben Brown is stuck in the infamous NBH lift for more than 2 hours....

twitter.com 

Good job he's already been on today or there would have been problems at 10:00pm!

(24-10-2022, 09:13 PM)News76 Wrote:  
(24-10-2022, 09:06 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Meanwhile Ben Brown is stuck in the infamous NBH lift for more than 2 hours....

twitter.com 

Good job he's already been on today or there would have been problems at 10:00pm!

Hes back on tomorrow morning apparently - let's hope the repair man arrives before then!

Finally freed 25 minutes ago!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like News76's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, JamieD, Ma76, Rolling News

(24-10-2022, 08:47 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Finding an excuse like this to let go of Martine over a storm in a teacup being whipped up by the BBC's biggest political detractors is too convenient for BBC management.

Given that Martine is the NUJ rep (she has indicated this on Twitter) I can't help but think that such action would not be in the interests of a management that is already trying to avoid strike action over the merger...
[-] The following 6 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, CF1, JamieD, Ma76, Newsroom

Also, why are people saying she is "pushing it"? What has she been doing?
[-] The following 3 users Like JamieD's post:
  • bkman1990, Ste, Toby brown
Thread Closed