BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

There seems to be considerable inconsistency in naming the BBC One HD regions in England:

[*]EastHD
[*]Wst HD
[*]WM HD
[*]EMidHD

You would think they'd have sorted this out some time ago. Confused

I have no idea what they'll come up with for NE&C next week, as it just won't fit in the space, and just calling it 'NE HD' will upset both viewers in Cumbria who have HD. Big Grin Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • IanJRedman

Regarding next week’s HD switch timetable…

twitter.com 

So if the current BBC One HD (England/RSOD) stream becomes South East HD on Tuesday and launches on Freesat, that’ll mean the old RSOD channel will have to leave the Sky EPG.

But if SE HD doesn’t launch on Sky until Wednesday, does that mean Sky viewers in the South East will be without any BBC One HD service for a day?

(17-02-2023, 11:42 AM)Spencer Wrote:  So if the current BBC One HD (England/RSOD) stream becomes South East HD on Tuesday and launches on Freesat, that’ll mean the old RSOD channel will have to leave the Sky EPG.

But if SE HD doesn’t launch on Sky until Wednesday, does that mean Sky viewers in the South East will be without any BBC One HD service for a day?

No, it will just mean that for that one day "BBC One HD" is showing South East Today, but that won't matter since the only people that will be left with BBC One HD at 115 will be Sky viewers in the South East anyway.

EDIT: Just noticed that 115 ist still on the Sky EPG UK wide ... so everybody on Sky might get SE on 115 for a day Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes ASnep's post:
  • Spencer

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but what will happen to channel 115 EPG on Sky? Will it be given to another BBC channel (Three) or is it tbc at the moment?

(17-02-2023, 01:10 PM)dbl Wrote:  Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but what will happen to channel 115 EPG on Sky? Will it be given to another BBC channel (Three) or is it tbc at the moment?

It will indeed be given to BBC Three:

https://twitter.com/a516digital/status/1626526848430514176
[-] The following 4 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • bkman1990, dbl, paul_hadley, Roger Darthwell

Good to hear the channel is now in a proper, more visible slot on Sky, and in it's original place before it closed.

I think it's placement in the Sky guide was detrimental to it's viewership.
[-] The following 6 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, dbl, Kunst, Rex, Roger Darthwell

(17-02-2023, 03:43 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Good to hear the channel is now in a proper, more visible slot on Sky, and in it's original place before it closed.

It's currently on LCN 117 on Sky, so hardly 'detrimental' compared to it's previous slot.

Once it moves back to 115 next week, when BBC One HD vanishes, I presume BBC Alba HD (or BBC Scotland HD) will take over 117.

(17-02-2023, 08:03 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(17-02-2023, 03:43 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Good to hear the channel is now in a proper, more visible slot on Sky, and in it's original place before it closed.

It's currently on LCN 117 on Sky, so hardly 'detrimental' compared to it's previous slot.

Once it moves back  to 115 next week, when BBC One HD vanishes, I presume BBC Alba HD (or BBC Scotland HD)  will take over 117.
It's on channel 173 in London, so it's going to be a massive improvement in this case
[-] The following 4 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, benzj, dbl, Rex

(17-02-2023, 08:03 PM)Stuart Wrote:  

Once it moves back  to 115 next week, when BBC One HD vanishes, I presume BBC Alba HD (or BBC Scotland HD)  will take over 117.
Scotland is a tricky situation, BBC Scotland occupies channel 115, BBC Four on 116 and Alba on 117. A compromise to meet Ofcom's requirements involve moving down certain channels to fit Three into the first 24 slots on the EPG (realistically, one of the Sky documentary channels will have to be moved down to channel 130, Sky Arts itself is demoted to 141 in Scotland).

Being in the wrong placement behind BBC Four on the guide just feels wrong, so the fact that England is finally getting BBC Three on Sky on the right slot is long overdue. I'd imagine Wales and Scotland will end up with Three on channel 115 if BBC Four is closed in the next two years.

Any news on when the regions will be available in HD on DTT/Freeview?

I'm sure I read a piece online that said 'by April 2023'?