BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(26-02-2023, 02:09 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I suspect that was more for the benefit of the network programme (when those studios were used for DTL contributions) than the opt outs.

Fair point, and I’d not thought of that. But it still shows it can easily be done if there’s a will.

Does anyone know the timetable for HD on Freeview? Still can’t get North West Tonight where I live.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(02-03-2023, 07:54 PM)Moz Wrote:  Does anyone know the timetable for HD on Freeview? Still can’t get North West Tonight where I live.

It’s April I think
[-] The following 2 users Like JACKLUFC1998's post:
  • interestednovice, Moz

I believe it will be in two phases in March and April, so you'll definately have it by then
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, interestednovice, Ma76, Moz

On the couple of occasions I've checked out BBC Parliament HD since it launched, it's clearly been upscaled SD, including most graphics. Although on one occasion there was a "RECORDED" graphic in the corner which was HD. Is this normal? How much of the channel is actually in full HD?
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • interestednovice, Jimbo2022

(15-03-2023, 12:09 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  On the couple of occasions I've checked out BBC Parliament HD since it launched, it's clearly been upscaled SD, including most graphics. Although on one occasion there was a "RECORDED" graphic in the corner which was HD. Is this normal? How much of the channel is actually in full HD?
I thought all the cameras and infrastructure were upgraded to HD when they installed additional ones in the HoC a few years ago.

Since 2008 the feed goes through the BBC at Millbank (previously through ITV) which is obviously an HD capable gallery. However, a quick glance at the HD channel on Sky just now shows it to be a rather poor upscale, even the lower thirds look dodgy although they're using animated VizRT graphics.   Confused
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice

For BBC Parliament only live content is HD proper

All recorded output is SD

If the RECORDED caption appears that is HD on top of an SD picture

All rebroadcasts of News Channel are hd proper.

Some stings are SD some are HD. If the sting forms part of a recording it is SD if played out live it's in HD.

Always been that way
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • interestednovice

(15-03-2023, 09:29 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  For BBC Parliament only live content is HD proper

All recorded output is SD
Considering that much of it is recorded, therefore broadcast in upscaled SD, it's rather disingenuous to call it 'BBC Parliament HD'.

I see your point but all live output us HD all recorded is upscaled SD but maybe the plan is to have HD for recorded but no idea when.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • interestednovice

Also when they show recorded programmes there seems to be a flashing grey box in the bottom right corner of the screen.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Jimbo2022