BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

I think if the BBC are now planning to run all of their TV channels in HD only; there maybe some benefits in doing it over the short to medium term.

1) It saves money on electricity bills when each TV channel owned by the BBC is broadcast in just one format on various types of electronic equipment. They, like any other broadcaster or business, are probably not immune to the cost of living crisis. They probably would save a bit of money with having their TV channels in HD only going out everywhere across the UK and possibly to other countries outside of it.

2) As the BBC is broadcasting in HD from 2023; it will reduces the need for the BBC to replace broadcasting equipment that is capable of HD broadcasting. This move to HD only for the TV channels would probably lengthen the lifespan of their broadcasting equipment which could reduce their emissions on the environment.

Am I getting somewhere with these points?

Very interesting you may be right particularly as hd kit is newer than SD so more likely to run more ecologically?

(16-11-2022, 08:51 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I think if the BBC are now planning to run all of their TV channels in HD only; there maybe some benefits in doing it over the short to medium term.

1) It saves money on electricity bills when each TV channel owned by the BBC is broadcast in just one format on various types of electronic equipment. They, like any other broadcaster or business, are probably not immune to the cost of living crisis. They probably would save a bit of money with having their TV channels in HD only going out everywhere across the UK and possibly to other countries outside of it.

2) As the BBC is broadcasting in HD from 2023; it will reduces the need for the BBC to replace broadcasting equipment that is capable of HD broadcasting. This move to HD only for the TV channels would probably lengthen the lifespan of their broadcasting equipment which could reduce their emissions on the environment.

Worth noting that on Freeview BBC One regions will remain on SD for the short to medium term. Even with the regions coming to BBC One HD a considerable number of TVs can't receive DVB-T2/ HD channels.

I'm guessing on Freeview they may opt to downscale the HD feeds. Presumably there will be some cost savings in fewer SD satellite transmissions.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Ma76

BBC One HD regions should appear on Freeview/YouView around the same time as Sky/Freesat. ITV regionality should also begin at that point. The BBC apparently want to implement the changes across DTT and DSAT at the same time.

A BBC Information Channel is due to launch on Freeview channel 799 next week - so expect something similar on Freesat. The background data for these channels is already present.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lovinthetelly's post:
  • Ma76

(16-11-2022, 04:27 PM)XIII Wrote:  Who watches SD versions of BBC One when the HD option is available?

Vast numbers of people as the SD channel is on the obvious channel number (whether that is 1 or 101)

Or because they have been watching the regional news and forget to switch over from BBC One to BBC One which is obviously easily done

I know I do it on ITV, I can be half way through Emmerdale before I realise I’m still on SD

(17-11-2022, 12:03 AM)Andrew Wrote:  
(16-11-2022, 04:27 PM)XIII Wrote:  Who watches SD versions of BBC One when the HD option is available?

Vast numbers of people as the SD channel is on the obvious channel number (whether that is 1 or 101)

Or because they have been watching the regional news and forget to switch over from BBC One to BBC One which is obviously easily done

I know I do it on ITV, I can be half way through Emmerdale before I realise I’m still on SD
I regularly switch to SD for the national news so that I can see the local headlines and leave it on SD. 

I will change that when BBC ONE NW goes HD.

For Freeview, once the regional versions of BBC One, ITV1 and C4 are placed on PSB3 Freeview, the LCN's of the HD versions really need to swap, so BBC One (regional) HD goes on LCN 1 rather than 101.

I'm sure Sky and Freesat will swap the SD/HD versions with 101 being HD rather than SD in England once the changes are implemented.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Ma76

(17-11-2022, 01:05 AM)London Lite Wrote:  For Freeview, once the regional versions of BBC One, ITV1 and C4 are placed on PSB3 Freeview, the LCN's of the HD versions really need to swap, so BBC One (regional) HD goes on LCN 1 rather than 101.
Freeview play devices will do the LCN swap using CLM
Channel list management see section 9 of the “play” spec
www.freeview.co.uk 

I do. I watch either North West Tonight or Granada Reports most evenings.

(16-11-2022, 08:51 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I think if the BBC are now planning to run all of their TV channels in HD only; there maybe some benefits in doing it over the short to medium term.

3. It also means that they don't need to spend on maintenance and repairs of equipment that will only get harder to source parts for as the years go on.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • bkman1990

(18-11-2022, 08:14 PM)Technologist Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 01:05 AM)London Lite Wrote:  For Freeview, once the regional versions of BBC One, ITV1 and C4 are placed on PSB3 Freeview, the LCN's of the HD versions really need to swap, so BBC One (regional) HD goes on LCN 1 rather than 101.   
Freeview play devices  will do the LCN swap using CLM
Channel list management see section 9 of the “play” spec
www.freeview.co.uk 
I think only having one multiplex that supports DVB-T2 limits the HD channels on Freeview. In the short-medium term it would be preferable if all (or at least one) multiplexes except PSB1 & PSB2 migrated. Then eventually just one of these two remaining as DVB-T to provide a basic/legacy service, with the other having national capabilities.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • benzj, Ma76