BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

What happened was the BBC1 hd regions appeared on cable on 1 December 2021.

Originally they used a different set of SID numbers compared to SD.

When they launched it was a straight swap to HD. Originally these were on the new SIDs meaning you lost recordings at first.

Eventually they were put on the original SID numbers so should be ok now.

Hope that helps.

it sounds like it will be a phased approach, is there any reason for it? Are they attempting to juggle bandwidth needs and flipping transponders to DVB-S2 or something?

Presumably the plumbing has been done to create the HD feeds since they exist for Virgin/Sky Glass/BT TV internet mode, so is there a reason to just not go "big bang" about it.

Will be interesting to see how they pick the order - population size, ability to originate HD content, how many SD boxes are believed to be in use (presumably Sky have a clue of how many of theirs are still used by subscribers)

The fact that a satellite test (of sorts) has been spotted for BBC One South HD, means it's likely to be among the first batch I think? Makes a degree of sense, since Southampton recently got a big HD kit upgrade, but so have the likes of London, Plymouth and Salford. Maybe they aren't leading with London to avoid accusations of 'M25 bias'?
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart

It may be but more likely because Oxford sub-opt is closing on 26 December as us Cambridge sub-opt.

If they did not start with South they. would have to switch regions around twice - once when Oxford closes and again when South HD launches

So starting with South makes the switch easier.

I think that is likely to be the reason.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • benzj, IanJRedman

The question is though how will BBC One South HD be launched on Sky and Freesat if Oxford and Cambridge sub-opts are closing down on the 26th of December?

Will BBC One South HD appear on these EPGs sometime before Christmas or after it?

(04-12-2022, 05:42 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  The question is though how will BBC One South HD be launched on Sky and Freesat if Oxford and Cambridge sub-opts are closing down on the 26th of December?

Will BBC One South HD appear on these EPGs sometime before Christmas or after it?

I doubt very much there will be any changes to the channel line-up over the Christmas period, as there won’t be the staff around to carry out the work and test for any problems.

My guess is the existing BBC One Oxford and East (West) SD channels will remain, but carrying Southampton and Norwich programmes respectively, until the new South and East HD channels launch in January.

Surely they need to create the UK wide 'BBC One SD' first, probably from the DSat bandwidth of either Cambridge or Oxford sub-opts, before any English region can move to an HD service?

(04-12-2022, 11:57 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Surely they need to create the UK wide 'BBC One SD' first, probably from the DSat bandwidth of either Cambridge or Oxford sub-opts, before any English region can move to an HD service?

Could it not all happen on the same day, presumably 23rd January?

(04-12-2022, 02:50 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Could it not all happen on the same day, presumably 23rd January?
I'm sure they can create the UK wide 'BBC One SD' as soon as the sub-opts in Oxford/Cambridge have ended in a couple of weeks.

However, I don't think any organisation would want to do a major change all at once, when they can stagger the process over a number of weeks/months.

It's only going to be noticed in each individual English Region, so viewers won't know that the neighbouring region switched the week or month before.

(04-12-2022, 04:40 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  It may be but more likely because Oxford sub-opt is closing on 26 December as us Cambridge sub-opt.

If they did not start with South they. would have to switch regions around twice - once when Oxford closes and again when South HD launches

So starting with South makes the switch easier.

I think that is likely to be the reason.
Last bulletins from Oxford and Cambridge are on the 16th.

There's not really that much to do in terms of distribution for the closure of either. They'll just carry the bulletins from Cambridge and Southampton (as happens a lot of the time anyway) from that date. Once the SD regional services on satellite close they just won't be replaced. 

Nothing can happen after the 18th as both Sky and the BBC have a Christmas change freeze