BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

Bit of a milestone? The first HD English region is now on satellite, albeit in testing - previously this frequency was showing RTE One, but further replies to this tweet show that, now, the video feed for BBC One South HD is indeed there:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990

I did mean 16 Dec fir Oxford and Cambridge ending bit 26th.

So will 16th be the last change day? And when does the Christmas freeze end? Any regions starting in January will have to have started before next weekend in that case.

Thanks

There is a BBC One SE HD, BBC One Sth HD, BBC One Lon HD all on 12148 H 27500 all encrypted or no video according to my box, so this is in addition to 1204 which has been fta for about a week now.

Those are never used for channels and are never the actual channels

These labels are only ever used for testing and never used for anything else.

The label names appear there for very brief periods and they eventually appear on the channels intended

But bbc1 is not and never has been on 12.148H.

Hope that helps.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • harshy, London Lite

Yeah I rescanned and they’ve disappeared but at least we’ve seen how they will channel label them eventually.

(12-12-2022, 02:09 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I did mean 16 Dec fir Oxford and Cambridge ending bit 26th.

So will 16th be the last change day? And when does the Christmas freeze end? Any regions starting in January will have to have started before next weekend in that case.
I think the change freeze starts on Monday, or there's a soft and hard freeze. This year there's been some restrictions on change before that because of the World Cup, a big event they don't want to screw up by changing something that works fine. 

You won't see anything till the new year. There'd be no point making a big change like this just before Christmas, it would be very risky if there were any issues.

The tests should start before the end if the week I hope. 

South is already in. No official eog launches before new year. That we knew but I doubt BBC1 South will be the only one that actually appears before the end if the week.

(13-12-2022, 10:25 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  The tests should start before the end if the week I hope. 

South is already in. No official eog launches before new year. That we knew but I doubt BBC1 South will be the only one that actually appears before the end if the week.
It will be the only one you'll see until the new year  Big Grin

The big reshuffle happens in the new year. Rest over the festive period because it'll all be happening in the first few months of 2023
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, Jimbo2022, London Lite, Ma76

Thanks for clarification. Thought so

Do you know what will happen next? IE channel moves first or another hd feed appear?

And is that at the end of the Christmas freeze or later?

And I thought South ABD East in HD would appear around the same time. I can only assume South will launch first?

Also will Oxfird and Cambridge feeds stay on until new year too? I assume so. Thx

Untangling the SD channels and replacing them in DSAT is being done by using some Sky encoders and transponder space …let’s just say it’s not that straightforward
As it is not a 1 for 1 swap (even without Oxford/Cambridge not being there)
And it is reusing the DTT PSB3 kit (DTT is a simpler replug of feeds on the new ATEME kit…)
[-] The following 2 users Like Technologist's post:
  • London Lite, Ma76