Warner Bros. Discovery - Company News and Discussion

TBS in Latin America is to be replaced by TNT Novelas around July:
www.todotvnews.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Medianext.MX

They didn't put everything from Discovery Plus on Max, which makes sense because they need something to keep Discovery Plus worth it for those that actively sought it out. There's alot of older , HGTV for example stuff on Discovery Plus. (Back when they did G programming, you know Gardening, for example) Other minor Discovery network content is on Plus too, and not on Max.

Also noticed a glitch with continue watching where, it doesn't remember where what to continue watching... hope they fix that.

(23-05-2023, 10:24 AM)XIII Wrote:  I assume that 13 Ghosts being a one series wonder makes it worthless for Max.

They put that, at least in the US, on Tubi for a long time along with the original series, the new Scooby Doo mysteries and The Scooby and Scrappy show. It's also on the Boomerang pay streaming service.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sky303's post:
  • Medianext.MX

I was reading from Deadline last night that Martin Scorcese, Steven Spielberg and Jean Paul Anderson were having a emergency meeting with WBD CEO David Zaslav. The meeting was about the current status and future of the TCM channel in the US.

The three directors were meeting with Zaslav over fears that the channel could be hit with major cutbacks while it's under Zaslav's leadership at the studio.

Now in an interesting twist; Zaslav had also mentioned to Deadline that he did not want to see the channel be hit with cutbacks while the studio was under his leadership tenure.

However; Zaslav's performance as CEO has let us see him do the exact opposite when the other parts of the studio are put up for the chop because of the forced reduced expenditure at the studio.

I wonder what was said with this meeting because the channel is regularly watched by two of the major directors while they work on set on their movie productions.

TCM was also the main influence in starting up The Criterion Channel in the online streaming market in the US.

What's your take on this everybody?

Do you think that anything substantial would come from the meeting about TCM at the moment?

I've just read that TCM UK will be closing down it's channel on the 6th of July.

The announcement was made on it's Facebook page this evening.

(22-06-2023, 09:03 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I've just read that TCM UK will be closing down it's channel on the 6th of July.

Indeed they are. To be honest I’m surprised it’s still going, I always thought their heart wasn’t in it when they removed the HD simulcast several years ago. This feels very much like a move on Discovery’s part.

I really struggle to see how anyone benefitted from this merger.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, Edogawa Ranpo, giiiuls, JosiahStuart, Roger Darthwell

(22-06-2023, 10:54 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I really struggle to see how anyone benefitted from this merger.

Some very rich people did...
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie

(22-06-2023, 10:54 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I really struggle to see how anyone benefitted from this merger.
You can't really blame them though for shutting down TCM Movies.

The silly "TCM Movies" rebrand also proved to be, well, silly. But they never much invested into it.

At least maybe they want to rejig Quest into a slightly more general entertainment channel (like the many Warner TV's in Europe, as with the Italian FTA channel), given the fact at the moment it's too similar to DMAX and Discovery.

Definitely WE DO NOT benefit from this merger as people, but had it been managed slightly better for some other things, honestly, I think we've seen worst things happening in the market.

Isn't that the point of Quest? It's basically a free to air version of Discovery showing shows a few years after that channel - as well as being a place to put Eurosport content that cannot go behind a paywall (i.e. football highlights).

(22-06-2023, 09:03 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I've just read that TCM UK will be closing down it's channel on the 6th of July.

I'm surprised it's still going as a channel - it's rarely had any investment or promotion for a good couple of years. I doubt that moving it to Freeview would have ever been considered too after how badly TruTV did commercially in the UK. 

They're compensating for the closure by airing films on Quest in primetime, which I feel is a fair compromise given just how much more entrenched the channel is in the FTA market.