Brookside to Stream on STV Player

Must admit I downloaded them this morning but really don't feel like watching them, the last few have been a real chore. Normally by this time on a Wednesday I'd have devoured them.

This is where for me a curated selection of episodes works better long term - the novelty of watching the lot soon wears off.

Showing every episode doesn't seem to have hurt the reruns of Corrie, Emmerdale and EastEnders though!

Worth sticking with anyway, as we know it gets better. We have things like "Free George Jackson" and the siege to come not too far ahead.

And there's a lot of interesting a memorable moments in the soaps that aren't likely to be seen if we only got "curated" episodes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisdafur

If you just want curated episodes, maybe get the DVD?

I'm enjoying it for what it is. The previous bunch of 5 was a bit naff but this bunch is better, and either way there's interesting stuff to take in.

That said, I do feel like they're going further than necessary to explain that Alan Partridge is a bit of a kook.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(22-03-2023, 10:38 PM)WillPS Wrote:  If you just want curated episodes, maybe get the DVD?

Also the wonderfully curated selection of... 8 episodes that's been available on 4OD/All4 for the last 15 years Tongue

I wish I'd bought the DVD while I had the chance though, only seems to be available with people selling it second hand for more than it cost when new!

Although the storyline is pretty slow at the moment it's still quite interesting to see the characters & soap develop. I'll stick with as I know there are more interesting storylines to come. 

I guess stv could have picked a different starting point like itv3 did with Corrie and Emmerdale, but I guess because there are less episodes it made sense to start at the beginning.

I'd like to see them go up to 10 episodes per week, as at the current rate it's going to take a year to get through about 2 and a half years.

And then many people (myself included!) would be annoyed they hadn't started at the beginning. I'm still frustrated we didn't get any of the Emmerdale Farm years on ITV3!

Someone on Digitalspy did email STV and ask if they could go up to 10 a week, and they said it wasn't possible yet because the remastering process the episodes are going through takes time.

(22-03-2023, 10:52 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Someone on Digitalspy did email STV and ask if they could go up to 10 a week, and they said it wasn't possible yet because the remastering process the episodes are going through takes time.

I'd be amazed if there's anything more than basic digital transfer and upscaling going on. There's a lot of videotape artefacts which would be removed in any real 'remastering'.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • chrisdafur, interestednovice

(22-03-2023, 10:50 PM)chrisdafur Wrote:  Although the storyline is pretty slow at the moment it's still quite interesting to see the characters & soap develop. I'll stick with as I know there are more interesting storylines to come. 

I guess stv could have picked a different starting point like itv3 did with Corrie and Emmerdale, but I guess because there are less episodes it made sense to start at the beginning.

I'd like to see them go up to 10 episodes per week, as at the current rate it's going to take a year to get through about 2 and a half years.
Everyone will have different preferences but 5 episodes a week keeps it a once a week commitment.   Indeed don't get the point of STV VIP when I'm watching these and seeing barely 5 adverts across 5 episodes.   Most the time it's just an STV bumper.     Did have one episode play out in the wrong ratio again (the middle one I think) - stretched, but left aligned to the 4:3 frame.

For me it raises the question about whether permanently switching to releasing their entire week up front is inevitable for the soaps still airing.   With Neighbours for example I'm unlikely to watch it dropping daily, but release them all on a Monday and I might bash through them in a couple of hours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice

(23-03-2023, 12:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Indeed don't get the point of STV VIP when I'm watching these and seeing barely 5 adverts across 5 episodes.   Most the time it's just an STV bumper.
Thats odd, yesterday each episode had blocks of eight 30 second ads in the middle or each episode. Thankfully enough time to go and make a cuppa tea.