Brookside to Stream on STV Player

Maybe it depends how and where you're watching from, I've never had anything approaching 8 adverts during an episode!
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice

I did read that the episodes we'll be seeing soon, with several characters going to watch the Isle of Man TT, were filmed only a week ahead of transmission, so they could film the practices/qualifying, then have the episodes go out as the TT was actually happening. Must have been very tight to get it all in (said the actress to the bishop, hurr hurr).

(23-03-2023, 12:11 PM)chrisdafur Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 12:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Indeed don't get the point of STV VIP when I'm watching these and seeing barely 5 adverts across 5 episodes.   Most the time it's just an STV bumper.
Thats odd, yesterday each episode had blocks of eight 30 second ads in the middle or each episode. Thankfully enough time to go and make a cuppa tea.

I don't think I've ever had 8 ads across a batch of 5 episodes, never mind in each one.   The most I've had is two in one break.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice

I have had 4 or 5 ads a couple of times, but that's the exception. Most of the time it's one advert and one STV Player trailer, or even just the trailer.

Someone said this latest batch of episodes was poor, but I thought episode 48 was great. Karen's rant at Sheila almost had me cheering at the TV. Great writing.

Got round to watching that backstage tour video posted on the last page, I'm guessing Brookside never shot in anything that could be considered a traditional studio set. Even all the sets they showed at Childwall are four wallers with celings, and in many cases an actual view out of a window.

(27-03-2023, 12:20 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Got round to watching that backstage tour video posted on the last page, I'm guessing Brookside never shot in anything that could be considered a traditional studio set. Even all the sets they showed at Childwall are four wallers with celings, and in many cases an actual view out of a window.

I think the nearest you could say to traditional studio set would have been the court room used during the Jordache trial.

(27-03-2023, 12:29 PM)chrisdafur Wrote:  I think the nearest you could say to traditional studio set would have been the court room used during the Jordache trial.
Even that 'set' was actually the prop store, or something similar.

I guess they did well to manage to produce a twice weekly soap from nothing more than a converted set of houses on a random cul-de-sac. I was an avid viewer when it began. Tongue

It was quite cool to get home from school and watch a 'fourth channel' in the first place.   Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • chrisdafur

One thing I remember was when Channel 4 had a soap weekend in the mid-90s, they repeated one of the Sheila Grant episodes from 1986, and it was followed by the repeat showing (hard to call it the "omnibus" seeing as it was only one episode a week at that point) of Hollyoaks, and the description in the TV guide was something like "will Phil Redmond's new soap be considered worth repeating in 10 years time".

Of course 10 (and 20 and 25) years later, Hollyoaks was still running, but Brookside wasn't.

(28-03-2023, 01:50 PM)James2001 Wrote:  One thing I remember was when Channel 4 had a soap weekend in the mid-90s, they repeated one of the Sheila Grant episodes from 1986, and it was followed by the repeat showing (hard to call it the "omnibus" seeing as it was only one episode a week at that point) of Hollyoaks, and the description in the TV guide was something like "will Phil Redmond's new soap be considered worth repeating in 10 years time".

Of course 10 (and 20 and 25) years later, Hollyoaks was still running, but Brookside wasn't.

Has it been repeated tho?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com