Brookside to Stream on STV Player

(13-04-2023, 09:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Nice set of episodes - though no Mr and Mrs Collins at all and the Huntingtons only in the last episode.

Still always seem to get one of the five appear in the wrong ratio each week (usually the 3rd or 4th), and then noticed in the 5th the credits were pages rather than a roller.
I still chuckle at Mr Huntingdon Snr calling his wife 'Mother'. Does he have issues which were never explored? Dodgy 

Was that just a bit too racy even for C4 in 1983? Tongue

Does anyone think Alan would class as ASD these days? He certainly acts like it.

(14-04-2023, 09:47 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Does anyone think Alan would class as ASD these days? He certainly acts like it.

This wikipedia article seems to point in that direction although such a move in 1982 would be extremely brave:
en.wikipedia.org 

This article may also have been written with Alan in mind:
vcurrtc.org 

Does it matter? It's a spectrum, we're all on it. He's just an oddbod character.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

I was just making an observation on his character, no need to jump down my throat. Most of the stuff discussed on this forum "doesn't matter".

(15-04-2023, 02:34 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I was just making an observation on his character, no need to jump down my throat. Most of the stuff discussed on this forum "doesn't matter".

My point was that the pigeon holing wasn't necessary and could even be offensive. You wouldn't comment that 'Jonah would class as multi-ethnicity nowadays', for example. Some things are better left unsaid.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

Really enjoyed this week's batch of episodes. Looking forward to see how the Roger/Heather storyline progresses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisdafur's post:
  • Brekkie

I do find the very low number of cast members in episodes to feel strange though. We have only a handful of characters in each episode, long scenes with not much happening, and some characters can go on not appearing for a while- for examples the Collins weren't in last week's 5 episodes at all, and even the secondary characters like Matty, Jonah, Ducksy and Gizmo who appeared a lot in the first few months have vanished. It feels like a very slow moving, sparsely populated show at the moment. Obviously we know it doesn't stay like that, but it's a very odd feeling show at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisdafur

It does make you wonder why they'd be on the verge of striking due to the long working hours. Surely it couldn't have taken that long to film a twice weekly soap.

youtu.be 

Would be interesting to compare with the ITV soaps of the time - if anything I suspect Brookside was intended to feel pacier. It is quite different to what we expect now but I quite like the focus on fewer characters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisdafur