Irish TV Programmes

To be clear, the “Executive Board” that has been stood down is not the Board, it is (was) the senior management team, all of whom are full time employees of RTE at a senior level. It was always a bit confusing to describe it as a “Board” in the first place, and that terminology may have been a hangover from when the non-executive board was called “the RTE Authority”.

The non-executive Board, to which the Director General reports, remains in situ (for now, at least)
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, Michael 18

I assume Ryan Tubridy has not returned to his radio show?

Nope. He is to appear at two parliamentary committees tomorrow, though.

Oliver Callan was told he would be filling in for at least six weeks apparently - Ryan has or is about to come to London, with some source saying he is speaking with UK broadcasters about maybe working in the UK, so maybe he is not exactly wanting to come back to work at Montrose even when September comes around for the new autumn schedules.

Not sure he can come back after today, tbh.

Not many options for him to continue a career elsewhere - TBH I suspect the idea of him coming over to the UK and establishing a career here is a non-starter. It's a scandal our broadcasters won't want to attach themselves too in the current climate.

(11-07-2023, 06:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not many options for him to continue a career elsewhere - TBH I suspect the idea of him coming over to the UK and establishing a career here is a non-starter.  It's a scandal our broadcasters won't want to attach themselves to in the current climate.
It’s not so much the scandal, it’s more where does he really fit in here? I know he did some stuff for Sky a while back, but I imagine that was just as much about Sky trying to appeal to the Irish market which is where the damage is done. I know he’s covered on Radio 2 but would he really appeal to the audience they’re going for now and can he offer something homegrown talent can’t?

You think if he’d have been popular enough he’d have maintained a career in the UK.

not to mention that (IIRC) Wogan and especially Norton had to prove themselves, they didn't just waltz from the top of Irish broadcasting into similar jobs in the UK.

He would be "Ryan who?" to anyone who isn't from Ireland, especially since people in GB can't receive Irish TV (well not without being on the west coast anyway). I also doubt the BBC would be willing to get the chequebook out when its own talent spend has been criticised and no doubt will do so again with today's annual report.
[-] The following 2 users Like i.h's post:
  • bilky asko, Brekkie

(11-07-2023, 08:35 PM)i.h Wrote:  not to mention that (IIRC) Wogan and especially Norton had to prove themselves, they didn't just waltz from the top of Irish broadcasting into similar jobs in the UK.

He would be "Ryan who?" to anyone who isn't from Ireland, especially since people in GB can't receive Irish TV (well not without being on the west coast anyway). I also doubt the BBC would be willing to get the chequebook out when its own talent spend has been criticised and no doubt will do so again with today's annual report.

We can’t receive Irish TV via satellite, no, but there are a few dodgy boxes you can get with foreign channels on.

I have written to RTE and actually got to speak with some people there, and suggested that RTE should set up a UK variant of their channel - that suggestion was given last year, so we see what will ever come of that.

RTE also should launch an archive TV channel for both Ireland and the UK - they have a vast archive of classic RTE shows going all the way back to the 60s, which would be an Irish version of say ITV 3, GOLD and Talking Pictures TV - it would be a great venture to have, shame they never bothered to do it.