Irish TV Programmes

(23-09-2023, 08:13 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  BBC already has a special studio in London for shows to air on 5 Live - considering every BBC local radio station is connected to the BBC network, I am surprised they haven't bothered to use them to provide content to network BBC Radio - BBC Radio Wales studio is used for the early weekday breakfast show on Radio 2 as an example
It probably happens more than you think, for example Petroc Trelawny on Radio 3 does his show from BBC Cornwall in Truro. 6 Music have used local studios when they've been doing a live event of Record Shop Day. 

One of the problems is that local radio studios aren't that well equipped for network shows, and exist on their own system, often the presenter will be in the local studio and everything else comes from London. 

Programmes like Radio 2 Early Breakfast are from network radio studios, full studios designed for broadcasting in the main networks. The nations have them along with Birmingham, Bristol and Salford.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie

It was notable in the recent Radio 1 DJ Hunt stunt that the concept was that the found DJ needed to go to the "nearest BBC studio", but from Southampton they didn't go to Radio Solent a few streets away but got a ferry to an OB truck on the IoW.

Chris Moyles used to regularly broadcast from local Radio studios but with a fair amount of added kit including playout system. It may be easier now that Vilor is based on the same playout platform as network.

Special titles for the Late Late Show Country Music special

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • AJB39, Michael 18

EP Jane Murphy has left the show after three episodes.

www.irishtimes.com 

Make of that what you will.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Toby brown

Why was she still there in the first place is what I ask after reading that article? This is the problem with RTE - too many hangers on who are there for their large salary and nothing else. I bet she clashed with Patrick and this is the main reason she is leaving the show. Judging by the fact Patrick was forced to axe his opening monologue at the top of the show after just ONE show. Maybe now, we might see an edgier Patrick with his monologue returned.

(08-10-2023, 10:02 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Judging by the fact Patrick was forced to axe his opening monologue at the top of the show after just ONE show. Maybe now, we might see an edgier Patrick with his monologue returned.

Was this confirmed anywhere ?

People said the same about Graham Norton and  he had one this week albeit a short one

twitter.com 

The issue mentioned in the Irish Times about the profile of the guests is according to the Irish Mail that they are too Northern Irish .

There was more developments yesterday surrounding the worsening financial situation at RTÉ.

www.rte.ie 

Here's a summary of the main points:

Richard Collins, who was the CFO at the broadcaster, had formally tendered his resignation to RTÉ DG Kevin Bakhurst.

Mr Bakhurst had the town hall meeting which was held with the staff members of RTÉ to hear their views about could be done to secure the future of the broadcaster. He did say that RTÉ will be a smaller organisation in future. He will also include a voluntary exit plan for the staff in the future strategy for RTÉ very soon. He also said to the media minister the upcoming plan for the future of RTÉ will be published in the coming weeks.

The Media minister Catherine Martin has said that the loss of TV licence revenue to RTÉ could amount to €61 million over this year & next year. She also said that she does not want to see a menu of options from RTÉ about their future. She wants a definitive plan from them to allow them to secure funding from the government. The NewERA government advisory agency has recommended funding of €40 million for the broadcaster when the report is given to her in a few weeks time.

Kevin Bakhurst has also said selling the RTÉ land at Montrose did not make much financial sense in the short or medium term. However he did say that RTÉ are currently looking at options to see if that move was possible. But he prefers for RTÉ to stay on site at Montrose in future while the plot of land will be on a smaller footprint.

Has viewership fallen as the licence income has fallen, or are people just not paying yet still watching. I'm guessing the consequences of not paying aren't that significant.

(08-10-2023, 12:32 PM)Gallunach Wrote:  Was this confirmed anywhere ?

People said the same about Graham Norton and  he had one this week albeit a short one

You can't say Graham had a monologue last week, it was a literal blink and you miss it one gag opening - I remember when Graham used to make jokes about the week's news at the top of his show - but I can now see why, he isn't playing to his UK audience, he is playing to his international audience - as The Graham Norton Show is very popular internationally, especially in the US where he has become a star as he is now appearing on nearly every one of their own US talk shows, he has been a guest on Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers as well as their daytime shows such as The View, The Today Show etc

So I can see Graham has decided not to bother with a monologue, so not to alienate international viewers with UK based jokes monologue. 

For Patrick, his first show monologue was a brilliant refresh to the show - he was/is a good stand up, I remember seeing him in the Waterfront Hall, Belfast around the late 90s and had a great act - sadly it's gone and you have to ask, did RTE ask him to drop it, especially after he hurled a few jokes at RTE - RTE seem to be very thin skinned at the moment.