Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

(10-03-2023, 07:03 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  And of course it leads the BBC News at Six....

David, many thanks. David Sillito there stood just outside this very building 

She didn’t say that, but they didn’t have to make David go and stand outside in the cold!
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Ash101, interestednovice, Ma76, Newsroom, UTVLifer

(10-03-2023, 07:19 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 07:03 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  And of course it leads the BBC News at Six....

David, many thanks. David Sillito there stood just outside this very building 

She didn’t say that, but they didn’t have to make David go and stand outside in the cold!

But actually reading it back aloud sounds like exactly the kind of thing Reeta would say.  Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • Alessi, interestednovice, Ma76, thePineapple, UTVLifer

It’s a major story. Is this a surprise?

Is it a major story? The actual details of a government policy are of note. Gary Lineker's opinion of it, however, and whether the nature of his contract prohibits him from publicising his views either way, is of no consequence to me whatever. Sorry, I know everyone else seems to be terribly invested in all this, but I am struggling to care one iota about this 'major story' personally.
[-] The following 10 users Like DavidWhitfield's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Ash101, BBI45, GMc, interestednovice, James, Ma76, scottishtv, sjhoward, UTVLifer

(10-03-2023, 07:25 PM)thomalex Wrote:  

It’s a major story. Is this a surprise?

In that case why haven't they been round to interview my Aunty Vera for her opinion.

It really, really isn't a major story. Certainly not warranting lead on the six.

This tweet sums just how meta/W1A-ish it has become for the BBC this afternoon

twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • LargelyALurker, Ma76, NickyBoy, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • Newsroom, Spencer

I pity whoever ends up being drafted in by the BBC to present/appear on MOTD tomorrow night

How has the supposedly inaccurate nature of the BBC's statement been covered on air?

(10-03-2023, 07:29 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Is it a major story? The actual details of a government policy are of note. Gary Lineker's opinion of it, however, and whether the nature of his contract prohibits him from publicising his views either way, is of no consequence to me whatever. Sorry, I know everyone else seems to be terribly invested in all this, but I am struggling to care one iota about this 'major story' personally.
It shouldn't be a major story, no. Sadly the government has blown all of this way out of proportion. If they had said nothing then we wouldn't be having this discussion now. We are where we are, though - it is now a story about free speech, and the government's seeming treatment of the BBC as a state broadcaster, rather than a public broadcaster.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Ma76, matthieu1221, Newsroom, orange, thePineapple, Transmission