(16-01-2023, 02:19 AM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  
(16-01-2023, 01:38 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Serious suggestions that a comedian may become the permanent prime time host in the 9pm slot.

www.semafor.com 

A tidbit on this post...

Quote:Executives have also expressed a desire to transform the network’s lineups and visuals by the time Licht hits his one year anniversary with CNN in May. Licht has said that CNN’s current graphics and branding look dated and cheap, and within the next several months, CNN will revamp them to look sleeker, according to one source familiar with his comments.

Honestly, CNN has good graphics and they haven't dated a lot since they were introduced at the height of the Zucker era back in 2013. But given Licht's desire for all-in change, this is no surprise. We might see what facelift is given by Licht.

Generally good but start to look cluttered when they add things like the hurricane tracker or programme promos (especially annoying when CNNI is simulcasting domestic and they are continuously promoting something we won't see).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • interestednovice

The graphics are not horrible, but they arent as dynamic as they should be and can make the screen looked cluttered at times. Im happy for them to move on to something cleaner.

Surprising that they've been using the same lower thirds for almost a decade. I remembered that it is being replaced every few years pre-2014

(16-01-2023, 01:38 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Serious suggestions that a comedian may become the permanent prime time host in the 9pm slot.

www.semafor.com 
Quote:“They’re looking for their version of John Oliver,” one television news insider familiar with the search told Semafor.
... then why not get him on over there? Afterall, we all know HBO Max is basically a dumpster fire now Tongue

Jokes aside, pretty intriqued to see how the new graphics pan out - the current Helveticas are a bit bland when others are using their bespoke fonts, while being heavily associated with the Zucker-era editorial style.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

Comedian idea sounds silly, especially if they go for the obnoxious Oliver. Are they trying to find their own Gutfeld? Good luck with that.

As for the graphics change, it's been long overdue. They were fine and did their job but always looked somehow too big and cluttered.

It kind of works for CNN at 9pm ET maybe, they had a talk show in the slot for a long time before they stopped when they let Piers Morgan go. It would be different, but don't need political commentary comedy, that's something that's already over done on Comedy Central, The Late Show, Late Night, Gutfield!, Even Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon do it a little bit too much now too.. Would hope they'd reintroduce a CNN I opt out hour again in that slot, if they go that way. I think I just did a long about way of saying they should just bring back a Larry King Live style show instead.

I don't hate the current graphics, hated the ones from before that from day one, did like the 2008 ones (though they didn't look good on CNNI, then again the 2006 CNN I look was great and could have still been used today)
[-] The following 3 users Like sky303's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, interestednovice

The only irony about the upcoming changes in graphics for CNN is that the current owners WBD are currently doing things on the cheap with how they manage every other part of their business.

I don't know how this plan will be a success for CNN in the long term. If they are trying to undergo a CNN+ type revival while remaining in their own unique style on Linear in the near future; Do you think that type of plan would work well for the network?

Also what does this plan do to the CNN masterbrand in the near future. Will that undergo a change later this year like removing the red block around the logo or remain the same as before?
[-] The following 3 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • interestednovice, Medianext.MX, Newsroom

(16-01-2023, 11:10 PM)Ubkman1990 Wrote:  The only irony about the upcoming changes in graphics for CNN is that the current owners WBD are currently doing things on the cheap with how they manage every other part of their business.

I don't know how this plan will be a success for CNN in the long term. If they are trying to undergo a CNN+ type revival while remaining in their own unique style on Linear in the near future; Do you think that type of plan would work well for the network?

Also what does this plan do to the CNN masterbrand in the near future. Will that undergo a change later this year like removing the red block around the logo or remain the same as before?
I don't think we'll see a removal of the red block anytime soon.

This talk about the logo made me remember this brilliant piece on its history. 

Incredible it only cost a couple of grand!

https://fabrikbrands.com/cnn-logo-history/
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

I know it's been mentioned before here or on the other forums but does anyone remember if all CNN US shows from NY and DC "directed" from Atlanta but the producers and editors are in those cities? Similar to BBC World News America or Newsday being produced in DC and Singapore but directed from London? And are the shows in NY and DC treated like an outside broadcast like to some extent like BBC WNA and Newsday are in that there's a presenter in London on stand-by?

(17-01-2023, 07:07 AM)Independent Wrote:  I know it's been mentioned before here or on the other forums but does anyone remember if all CNN US shows from NY and DC "directed" from Atlanta but the producers and editors are in those cities? Similar to BBC World News America or Newsday being produced in DC and Singapore but directed from London? And are the shows in NY and DC treated like an outside broadcast like to some extent like BBC WNA and Newsday are in that there's a presenter in London on stand-by?
Hudson Yards in NYC has control rooms as does London.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Independent